Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another "Computer won't boot" problem

• Please log in to reply

dreed2440

dreed2440

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
My adult daughters computer:

eMachines...Mod W3644
Win XP Home (preinstalled, no restore disc)Do have "C of A" sticker

At boot up get this message:
"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click "OK" to restart computer and then reinstart the installation."

Click "OK" and reboots and get same message. No one was installing anything, so not sure why I get this message.

I tried pressing F8 during restart and was able to get to option of starting in safe mode. When I do this, I get the following:
"Windows cannot complete installation in safe mode. To continue installing windows, restart computer".

Click "OK" and computer goes back to the first error message.

Have tried several things and nothing gets me into the system. Are there any downloadable programs that are best for gaining access to the system?

Thanks...Dave R.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://support.gatew...015006Rul.shtml

Boot to BIOS see page 75 of the hardware support doc.
on this link.

Basically as the computer first boots keep tapping F2.
When you get into setup check that the first boot device is the HDD.

Also for your information later this is your computer model
http://support.gatew...015006Rnv.shtml

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 November 2010 - 05:29 PM.

dreed2440

dreed2440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks...Read pertinent info in manual and followed instructions as stated: pressed F2 at bootup and found system was booting to CD first and HDD second so changed and saved changes. Still have the same error messages at boot as stated earlier.

Thanks...DR

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go back to the manual and run the disgnostics. I seem to remember it was also in the hardware reference guide.
F12 I think on boot.
If no success there - here is a program that will enable you to recover your data - all being well.

There are a number of ways of recovering your data. One is below and probably one of the best.
Puppy Linux
See this link and http://ftp.nluug.nl/...fulldrivers.iso
Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd using this program
http://www.snapfiles...dlburncdcc.html
NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start
make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....
• Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.
Make sure the cd you burned is in the cd drive before clicking Y and then your system will reboot. Puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..
after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to
your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will
mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...
now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...
your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive.. and download to another computer.
Ensure the other computer can read them...
now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..
Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption.

POSTED with acknowledgement to HAPPYROCK and others.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 November 2010 - 08:35 PM.

dreed2440

dreed2440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks much...Ran diagnostics and system rebooted resulting in same error messages. Will be trying "Puppy Linux" next as time allows. Knowing enough about computers to make a real mess, I very much appreciate the detailed information and will follow to the letter. Will post results when completed.

This is why I highly recommend "Geeks To Go" to anyone who needs help!!

Dave R

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you for your posted note of appreciation.
When you ran the diagnostics it should have reported the result of the test on the Hard Drive.
Did it?

dreed2440

dreed2440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
It goes so fast I had to hit the "Pause" bottom when finished and it reads in part:

VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA.......UPDATE SUCCCESS
NVIDIA BOOT AGENT 244.0538

CLIENT MAC ADDRESS: 00 1C 25 69 AC F3 GUID: 5A5A5A5A-5A5A-5A5A-5A5A-5A5A5A5A5A5A
PXE-E53: NO BOOT FILENAME RECEIVED

PXE-MOF: EXITING NVIDIA BOOT AGENT

Thanks...Dave R

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

CLIENT MAC ADDRESS: 00 1C 25 69 AC F3 GUID: 5A5A5A5A-5A5A-5A5A-5A5A-5A5A5A5A5A5A PXE-E53: NO BOOT FILENAME RECEIVED

That message suggests that the computer may be trying to boot from a network. However that does not explain the message you received regarding
the installation of windows.

My suspicion is, and it is only a suspicion that although you say - no one was trying to install Windows, someone has activated the inbuilt recovery process, by pressing F12, restore to factory condition and then aborted the process with a forced shutdown.

However, that is only a possibility.

I cannot help further at this time, I am otherwise committed tonight.
Go back to the setup and check that the HDD is shown in the BIOS, not just that it is the boot device, but on the heading along the top ofthe BIOS screen under Drives - probably I am not sure of your BIOS display on that computer.
I suggest you go back again and read the manual carefully to ascertain how to view the reaults of the disgnostics. I feel sure there must be guidance in the manual.
Whilst in the BIOS if there is an option boot to network ensure that is NOT available.

You should I think open the case and check the connections from the motherboard, that is the large board in the case to which everything is connected. Check the connections betwen the motherboard and the Hard Disk Drive. AGAIN you will have to read the manual. IMPORTANT - do not touch any part of the printed circuit boards or anything except the connecting leads.

If this produces no result my advice NOW would be recover your data if that is possible.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 November 2010 - 12:26 PM.

dreed2440

dreed2440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I checked all connections and BIOS settings and all was okay. I was able to get Puppy Linux up and running in RAM and got confused on how to recover the HDD files. Talked with my daughter and she didn't really need any files on the HDD, so I had an old copy of WinXP-SP2, so I was able to get to a point where I formatted the HDD and loaded XP. Now I can't access the internet, but I'll get that figured out.

I really appreciate all help in this matter and wish you and all tech's on GTG the best of everything and keep up the great work.

Case Closed.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You jumped ahead a little too far really. You may have been far better using the pre-installed recovery software, which I think is on that computer. I was going to look at that after we had got your data off it.

Go to Start, right click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware Tab, click Device Manager and see if there is a warning on the
item Network Adaptors.
If there is and it says no driver installed - then Go back to the Gateway link.

If this is the ORIGINAL hardware in the computer ie: the original Ethernet card (or onboad LAN) or Wireless the site will have the driver.
Download that driver to a flash drive and copy it to your computer - say to C: Programs or Documents and Settings. Then using the driver downloaded from the Gateway site, install that.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 November 2010 - 03:47 PM.

Advertisements

dreed2440

dreed2440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I did try to access the pre-installed recovery software, but was unable to get it to run properly and kept getting some of the usual error messages.

Under Device Manager I do not see "Network Adaptors", but do have the yellow warning on "Other Devices" which includes: PCI Bridge Device/PCI Device/PCI Simple Communications Controller/SM Bus Controller/Video Controller. All have the warning yellow. No other items have the warning.

When I try to update these drivers, I cannot since I'm not able to access the internet yet.

Thanks...Dave

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

You jumped ahead a little too far really

You need to install mobo drivers, the disk that came with your motherboard. Chipset drivers.

Whenever you format. You then install the chipset drivers and the Video, graphics and LAN if appropriate ie: not onboard, from the link I gave you or the original motherboard CD. You are best getting the updated ones from the link.

Then you install Windows.

NOW you have installed Windows go to the link I sent you earlier for your computer and download the drivers
Motherboard chipset drivers
* Display drivers
* Soundcard drivers
* Other internal component drivers
* Other peripheral device driver
If the Network driver is onboard LAN and onboard video and sound - you need the chipset drivers.
If separate you need the chipset and the audio, graphics and network.

Obviously you cannot use this computer, that was why I said in post 10 - about downloading to another computer, then copying to a CD etc and then installing on this one.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 November 2010 - 09:39 AM.

dreed2440

dreed2440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I do have the driver link file saved on my laptop. Being the novice I am, it's taking a bit on my part to figure this all out. I will copy the drivers to a CD or thumb drive then install on the nonworking computer and see what happens.

Again...Thanks...Dave

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://www.emachines...rt/drivers.html

Here you are,select Desktop, then W series then 3644, then your operating system Home or Professional.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 November 2010 - 09:47 AM.

dreed2440

dreed2440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I did that this morning and have the files on a thumb drive. I copied the files(after unzipping) to the HDD in Programs. Having trouble installing any of them now. I'll keep working at it.

Thanks