Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect PC to TV Help

• Please log in to reply

andressa

andressa

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello and thanks for the help.

I'm trying to connect my pc to my standard definition TV.
My videocard came with the adapter which conects to the s-video output. It has a 4 pin s-video input and and 4 female tulip inputs (yellow - video, Y-green, Pb - blue, Pr-red).
I've downloaded the most recent driver for my nVidia card (GeForce 7900 GS), plugged the s-video cable on the adapter and on the TV, changed the configs on my monitor (1 and 2 are duplicated), TV is on Aux 1 (tried 2 as well) but still dosent work. I've tried also hooking up with a DVD player. Still dont get any image on my TV.. Help? =/
Oh, my OS is Windows 7.

Thank you very much! <3 :D

Edited by andressa, 01 November 2010 - 05:02 PM.

Advertisements

Nick2253

Nick2253

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Windows 7 has a nifty key combination to let you cycle through input options: Windows Key (the flag on the bottom left) + P. If you hold the Windows Key while tapping P, you can cycle through those options. You can try "Duplicate", but because the TV and the computer are different resolutions, it may be best to try "Extend", which will (should!) extend your desktop onto the attached monitor/TV, and then you can drag windows between the two, just to see if it works.

You also need to verify with your TV (post the model if you can't figure it out), what the actually input setting is for the configuration you are attempting. Aux 1 and 2 may correspond to different inputs than what you are trying. This information should be in your user manual, or do a search on the manufacturer's website.

If you have any questions, post back and we'll help as best we can.

--Nick

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey Nick!
Thanks for your fast reply!
I'll try it and will let you know if it works.

Best wishes,

Andressa

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
also make sure to connect the s-video cable directly from the computer to the tv and not from the computer to a dvd player or anything else then to the tv. and cycle through all the inputs on the tv after the cable is connected and your computer is turned on.

good luck

KimE_WinTeam

KimE_WinTeam

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey Andressa --

Wondered if you were still experiencing issues connecting your PC, or if Vipr's suggestion worked for ya?

Cheers,
Kim
Windows Outreach Team

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the help! Still having issues...
S-video cable connected directly from pc to TV, NVidia settings fixed, tv and pc on... and still nothing. Tried all options (duplicate, extend, projector only) from the shortcut but still nothing. Any other ideas? Oh, bt, tv is "electrohome", probably 100 years old lmao)

Thanks! :D

Update: Oh, yeah! So I thought it could be my tv, cuz it's old. Tried on another tv set and still nothing. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I just cant figure out what is it. Maybe the setting on my NVidia control panel??

Edited by andressa, 04 November 2010 - 05:53 PM.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
So, any ideas??

Nick2253

Nick2253

• Pip
  • 9 posts
So, let me make sure I understand what you are trying to do:

You have a Windows 7 computer with a GeForce 7900 GS.

You are attempting to connect said computer using an SVideo cable to a TV.

You have tried multiple TVs, but nothing seems to work.

Is this correct?

Also, I am assuming you are using the provided S-Video cable. Have you tried using other S-video cables?

--Nick

Nick2253

Nick2253

• Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, so I may have a solution for you:

First, set up your TV like you want, and put the TV on the correct input setting.

Then, right click on your desktop and select "Screen Resolution". In the window that pops up, there should be a button that says "Detect". Click it. This should detect any attached screens to the computer. You can then adjust the settings to match those of the TV. If it doesn't seem to work, you may have to select "Try to connect anyway" under "Multiple Displays".

If you need help with any of these steps, please post back.

--Nick

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey Nick, thanks for the help.
My videocard came with the adapter which conects to the s-video output. It has a 4 pin s-video input and and 4 female tulip inputs (yellow - video, Y-green, Pb - blue, Pr-red).
This adapter is connected to the videocard. The s-video cable is connected to this adapter and to the tv.
I've tried doing what you told me before to no result.
When I press the "detect" button, it shows 3 displays for some reason. 1 - Compaq (which is the main display) 2 - Device display on: VGA and 3 - Generic non pnp monitor. (obs: Before, one of them was showing as GeForce)
On the NVidia control panel I see my monitor and HDTV, If I select the HDV on the Nvidia control panel it shows as display 1 and 3 active on the "stcreen resolution" windows window.
Now, I was playing with the change resolution tab on NVidia control panel and when I change to 480p, 640 x 480 or 720 x 480 I can see "something" on my tv. By something, I mean navy blue stripes rolling on my tv screen. Nothing much but enough to see it's done something.
So yeah, that's pretty much it. If you have any other ideas, let me know.
Thanks once again.

Nick2253

Nick2253

• Pip
  • 9 posts
This is a link from the nVidia knowledge base. I don't know if it is relevant to your version of the NVidia Drivers.

Link

--Nick

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey Nick. I checked the link you sent me but still no help.
Kay, so I was thinking.. I had major problems trying to find the driver for my video crad once I istalled windows 7 and I did not really find the right driver if I recall correctly. I did find something that worked but not the right one. Thinking about that problem, I realized I did not give you all the info. My card is actually from Foxconn, and the model is the FV-N79SM2D2. if I'm not mistaken, wich is the GeForce 7900 GS. So I went to foxconn to find the driver and update it. Thing is, there's no driver for win 7. Could it be that is not 100% compatible and that might be causing the problem? The driver I have is from NVidia and works with everything else, but I was reading the Help section to try and connect the TV and it said I should be able to choose the type of connection (s-video, etc) and it only shows "component - HDTV" (which is not) and the image of the 3 tulip cables (was supposed to be the s-video).
Sooo, IDK. Im really really frustrated with all that.
Again, any insight is helpfull.

Ps.: I just found a link that shows the connector I was talking about, the one that came with the card and I use to connect the s-video cable to.

Ps2.: Tried to add a link, but it wont allow because says "b a s t a r d s" lmao
link is http://www.eliteba stards.com/pic.php?picid=hanners/foxconn/7900gs/images/bundle.jpg
without the space, of course.
And here's the link for the article that rewievs the card, IDK if it might help any of you guys..
http://www.eliteba stards.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=165&Itemid=27

Ps3.: so yeah, this will be a long post. As I was reading the review, I saw that the cable is a HDTV-out cable. Now, forgive my noobness. Is that the reason why it might not be working? My tv is not HDTV. And if soooo (than forgive me all of you) what can I do to (now) connect it properly?
Oh Gee.. Thatnks again guys.

Edited by andressa, 14 November 2010 - 07:14 PM.