Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Settings DVD Burner

• Please log in to reply

Raffi4

Raffi4

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I left my drive open and caught the door and ripped it out. Bought a new DVD burner drive. It is a IDE PATA, it is the right one. I thought windows XP would set it up but no luck. I need to know what my settings should be in the set-up. I also have a CD drive. Any help would

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
There are no manual settings to alter for optical drives. Windows XP supplies it's own driver and should recognise it automatically.

One thing to consider though. PATA drives have a little bridge-connector at the back called a "jumper", usually black in colour.
This has to be set to either "Master" or "Slave". The jumper on your new drive should be set to the same configuration as the one you
damaged. If the damaged drive was configured as a "Slave", the replacement new one must be also be configured as a "Slave". Conversely, if the damaged drive had it's jumper set to "Master", the replacement new drive should also be set as "Master".

If both drives on the same data-cable are set as "Slave", or both set as "Master", one of them won't work.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 02 November 2010 - 04:40 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I also have a CD drive. Any help would

I think you are on the right track there Phillip. Looks to be a jumper problem to me also. ;) :D

Raffi4

Raffi4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It was the jumper on the back I forgot to set it to the proper place. Thank you for the help. Such a small peice of plastic could drive you nuts.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D