Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RDRIV.SYS, possibly more

• Please log in to reply

TBeers

TBeers

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, I have had many and various problems with malware in my time. Today I am frustrated because Antivir repeatedly pops up a "WARNING!" message telling me that C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RDRIV.SYS is a Rootkit Trojan. I deny access, delete file, rename file, wipe file, nothing works it comes back almost immediately. I even found the file in the windows folder and deleted it, but the warning still appears and I cannot find the file to delete it again. I scan/fix with Antivir, McAfee, Adaware, and Spybot Search&Destroy, to no avail. I finally decided to join these forums, make a HijackThis log, and see if perhaps someone here can help me eradicate the malware on my system (of which I am sure there is a considerable amount). Here is the log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:02:33 PM, on 5/25/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\msaccrt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\PopUp Killer\PopUpKiller.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DeltTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wkssvc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\GUARDGUI.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\msaccrt.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PopUpKiller] C:\Program Files\PopUp Killer\PopUpKiller.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeltTray] DeltTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVGCtrl] C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE /min
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akama...meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://bin.mcafee.co...76/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://bin.mcafee.co...,16/mcgdmgr.cab
O23 - Service: AntiVir Service (AntiVirService) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir Update (AVWUpSrv) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH, Germany - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
O23 - Service: Workstation Service Library (Microsoft Locator Service) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\wkssvc.exe

Thanks in advance for all of your assistance.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
The reason the file keeps coming back is because another one that is being told to start via the registry is recreating it everytime you reboot. So lets get rid of it. My first suggestion though is after this is all said and dont remove one of your antivirus programs, because two of them actively running on the same system usually conflict with eachother. Lets get started.

You may wish to print out a copy of these instructions to follow while you complete this procedure.
Please save Hijack This in a permanent folder (i.e. C:\HJT). This ensures backups are saved and accessible.
Please go offline, close all browsers and any open Windows, making sure that only HijackThis is open. Scan and when it finishes, put an X in the boxes, only next to these following items, then click fix checked.

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\msaccrt.exe
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akama...meInstaller.exe
O23 - Service: Workstation Service Library (Microsoft Locator Service) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\wkssvc.exe

Now click "Start", "Run", and type services.msc and press enter. Now find a service in the list called Workstation Service Library (Microsoft Locator Service) and right click it now click "Properties". Set the startup type to "disabled" and click "Stop" now click "apply" then "OK".

Please download CleanUp!and install it. Do not run it yet.

Please download "Del Domain" from here:

http://www.geekstogo...=download&id=40

Download it to your desktop or somewhere you will find it. Extract the .inf file from the .zip file you just downloaded. Now right click "Deldomains.inf" and click "Install". It will not appear to have done anything, thats ok. Next step.

Please reboot into safe mode (continually tap the F8 key while your system is starting, select Safe Mode from the menu).
Be sure you're able to view hidden files, and remove the following files in bold (if found):

C:\WINDOWS\msaccrt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wkssvc.exe

Now run cleanup! and click the "CleanUp!" button. When asked to logoff, click "NO". Now reboot the computer normally and post a new hijack this log.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

TBeers

TBeers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
This seems to have been a success. There were a few things that went a little bit differently than you had said. When I restarted in safe mode and searched my Windows folder for the two files you specified, I got files that matched almost exactly but were slightly different.

There was a "prefetch" file called msaccrt.exe.pf (or something to that effect) I deleted it anyway

There was also "C:\WINDOWS\wkssvc.exe-up" which I deleted

Here's my new HJT log:

Scan saved at 4:46:46 PM, on 5/26/2005

Running processes:
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://bin.mcafee.co...76/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://bin.mcafee.co...,16/mcgdmgr.cab
O23 - Service: AntiVir Service (AntiVirService) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir Update (AVWUpSrv) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH, Germany - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe

Thanks so much for your help. I will be sure to disable one of my antivirus programs now (I'll probably stick with Antivir for the time being).

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Excellent, please visit my anti-malware site in my signature to learn about how to protect yourself futher. Happy browsing!

TBeers

TBeers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hmm... AntiVir just popped up with another Trojan, although this one isn't coming up persistently. Not much has changed on my HJT log, though. I will keep an eye on it.

And one more thing... whenever I exit AOL Instant Messenger, it gives me an error message saying that the program needs to close. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no effect. Today I installed AIM again and now this is coming up in HJT (the only change since the last log I posted):

O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe

Could that have anything to do with it? I can only speculate, given my limited knowledge of what all of this means.

Thanks again. I'm going to download all of the recommended programs and try to rid my system of anything that HJT might have missed.

TBeers

TBeers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, here's the new Trojan that has been coming up.

"C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{079DF8D8-3485-4487-B5E9-583472E51C0D}\RP639\A0095103.EXE

Is the Trojan horse TR/Dldr.Agent.JN.2"

Is this part of the same issue or something different? I have heard that rootkit trojans can be very difficult to exterminate. Here's a new HJT log:

Scan saved at 10:12:10 PM, on 5/26/2005

Running processes:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe

Thanks for being patient with this.... If nothing else, the problem is not as bad as it was. Last night AntiVir was popping up a warning message about every two seconds, now it is much less often.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hmm as for your aim problem, I can't tell you there, but I do know that the extra entry in hijack this with aim.exe is legit. Now as for the trojan, notice it is in a "restore" folder. That is the folder that windows holds all of the system restore files so you can restore to an earlier date if needed. You or any program are not allowed to delete from that folder. The only way to clean it out is to turn off system restore and turn it back on again. Then the message will go away. Follow these steps and you should be alright.

First go to control panel, system, and click the system restore tab. Now check the box that says "Turn off system restore" and click "Apply". When the hourglass goes back to your normal cursor uncheck the box and click "Apply" again. Now when the hourglass goes away click "OK". You have just cleared all previous restore points and emptied the folder. You have also created 1 fresh new point.

TBeers

TBeers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, thanks for the tip on the system restore point. I'm not going to worry about the AIM thing, it doesn't bother me very much.

About the trojan(s): I just don't know... rdriv.sys came back a little while ago. I denied access then ran adaware, which did find a few things in the registry to eliminate. Here's a brand new HJT log. Does it reveal anything ? (I'm thinking probably not)

Scan saved at 10:51:21 PM, on 5/26/2005

Running processes:
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe

The only scan I haven't really done is an online one. Maybe I'll try that now.

TBeers

TBeers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, I now have SpywareBlaster and Zone Labs firewall going. Thanks for all of your help, I'll post another reply if any of the annoying malware comes back.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What is telling you that rdriv.sys is still there? Make sure you are to view hidden files and folders still and reboot into safe mode. Now look in C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 for rdriv.sys and try to delete it. Also run an active scan by going to the link in my signature to my anti-malware site. In the top left there is a Panda Active Scan. You must use Internet Explorer for this. Let me know how things go.