Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Novice needs help with nonbooting Computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Yes, you can go through with my last instruction, it will just harvest restore points information from the computer, As it is not based on windows, it is possible also that it will recognized the other drives in the "mnt" folder, well see.

:D

Advertisements

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok, well, I'll try what you suggested. I will have to burn it to a CD. Not sure what to do with rst.sh though.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts

Ok, well, I'll try what you suggested. I will have to burn it to a CD. Not sure what to do with rst.sh though.

Save it on a USB stick.

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have loaded xPUD, but you said to highlight sdb1 in the mnt folder because it is likely the USB drive. What should I select if I booted using a bootable CD?

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi mfrank1,

As drives are assigned different on machines. You may reinsert the USB stick and manually navigate the "mnt" folder much like how we do it in windows explorer and see what's inside. :D

The harddrives are assigned "sda" with number suffixes. To know which one is your USB sticks (usually assigned sdb1), you may verify drive assignments simply by looking at its contents.

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
OK, but my question may have been unclear. Do I still select the USB drive in mnt, even if I'm booting xPUD from a CD and NOT from the USB stick?

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Yes, you need to select to the drive that contains the rst.sh (or any program you would like to run).

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok, thanks for your patience. Here is the enum.log file.

Attached Files

• Attached File  enum.log   2.93KB   634 downloads

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Can you check for me if xPUD was able to recognize the other missing drives?

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
It recognized the second internal hard drive, but when I plugged in the external, it said error: drive not mounted.

Advertisements

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
OK ... I unplugged and replugged the external drive and it is now recognized in xPUD

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi mfrank1,

OK ... I unplugged and replugged the external drive and it is now recognized in xPUD

Great news :D

There are other various things you can do using xPUD. It has its own firefox for internet and a couple of other useful function.

I am working on a fix and will post later as I need expert approval before I can proceed. Please be patient.

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
OK, thank you. I so appreciate your help. In your next post, please advise if I should begin backing up my files using xPUD or wait until I get your next fix.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Yes, as much as I am confident that this machine can be fixed, there's always a possibility that things can go wrong.

Backup first is always a good habit, so go ahead and keep a good copy of important files tuck safely.

Another question, when did you install GoBack?

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I've had GoBack on the machine for many, many years. Probably more than 5. Never had a problem (before this). Can I use xPUD to copy files just as I would regular Windows (i.e. Right Click-->Copy, go the target and Paste) and alsos to create new folders, etc.? I'm asking because xPUD says at the top a rather ominous "Warning: You Are In Super User Mode." I don't want to do anything with this strange new program that might harm my precious files.