Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Novice needs help with nonbooting Computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi mfrank1,

Hows your computer running now?

I can see an improvement in memory. :D You need to remove/uninstall more program and transfer some files onto another harddisk. I recommend Tuneup Utilities and GoBack for removal.

Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Edited by Salagubang, 07 November 2010 - 08:45 PM.

Advertisements

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
The computer is definitely running a bit better. I will follow-up on your new suggestions when I get home from work. When you say I need to transfer some files to another harddisk, does that mean too many files on my drive was part of my problem? What did cause the problem, if you can tell? Regarding Tuneup Utilities, it was among several utility programs, such as System Mechanic, that I bought to try to help the computer run better. Was that a bad idea? Also, what securtiy software do you recommend? I have Zone Alarm security suite for firewall and antivirus, and Spyware Doctor for spyware and malware. Are there better programs that you would suggest?

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Here are the results of Security Check. Please note I use Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Reader and Spyware Doctor instead of Spybot. Spyware Doctor updates daily, as far as I know. Should I be using anything else to protect my computer?

Attached Files

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi mfrank1,

When you say I need to transfer some files to another harddisk, does that mean too many files on my drive was part of my problem? What did cause the problem, if you can tell?

Drive C: | 111.72 Gb Total Space | 9.26 Gb Free Space | 8.29% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

;)

We are on the part of the fix where I will assist you to streamline your PC for optimal performance, and as and we are going to defrag your harddisk next, 9Gb out of 110Gb of remaining disk space is a bit low for my taste (and that is after cleaning out your temp files). :D You should have at least 10% free space while 30% would be a nice breathing space. The more the better.

Movie and music files would be the easiest files to move.

Regarding Tuneup Utilities, it was among several utility programs, such as System Mechanic, that I bought to try to help the computer run better. Was that a bad idea?

Do not bother with them. It is unlikely to help, can cause harm and the risks outweighs the benefits, i.e. GoBack running amok.
There are no end-user benefits from running registry cleaners. Unecessary entries in the registry do no harm.

Have a read at what experts says:

Miekiemoes, who is an expert here and many other places, has an excellent blog here.

Also:
http://blogs.technet...ct-of-life.aspx
http://www.edbott.co...istry-cleaners/

Also, what securtiy software do you recommend? I have Zone Alarm security suite for firewall and antivirus, and Spyware Doctor for spyware and malware. Are there better programs that you would suggest?

Your security setup is fine, plus you already have MBAM as an on-demand scanner.

==============================================
Continuing with the fix...

Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete CLEAN
THEN

• Download Flush Flash from Here and follow the easy to use instructions on the same page
NEXT

Defrag the harddrive

Update me after this. ;)

Edited by Salagubang, 09 November 2010 - 05:20 AM.

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Salagubang--Thank you for your latest suggestions. Because of my work schedule, it may be a few days before I can implement them but I will update you as soon as I can.

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok. I've run TFC, Flush Flash and Puran. The computer seems to be running okay, although it still takes quite awhile to boot up (about 5 min) and programs run slowly. I've deleted some files from C drive, and now have about 60GB free. Is there anything else I can do?

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi mfrank1,

Please post a fresh scan of OTL for review. :D

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Here are the OTL results following the defrag.

Attached Files

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi mfrank1,

Thank you for posting the log.

I will be reviewing the latest log and will post my fix later. :D

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi mfrank1,

StepOne

• Click Start, and then Run.
  • In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
  • At the command prompt, type chkdsk /f /r and then press ENTER.
Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

StepTwo

Save these instructions so you can have access to them while in Safe Mode.

Please click here to download AVP Tool by Kaspersky.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Reboot your computer into SafeMode.

You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears.
    Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter

• Double click the setup file to run it.
  • Click Next to continue.
  • Accept the Licence agreement and click on next
  • It will by default install it to your desktop folder.Click Next.
  • It will then open a box There will be a tab that says Automatic scan.
  • Under Automatic scan make sure these are checked.

• Hidden Startup Objects
  • System Memory
  • Disk Boot Sectors.
  • My Computer.
  • Also any other drives (Removable that you may have)

Leave the rest of the settings as they appear as default.

• Then click on Scan at the to right hand Corner.
  • It will automatically Neutralize any objects found.
  • If some objects are left un-neutralized then click the button that says Neutralize all
  • If it says it cannot be Neutralized then chooose The delete option when prompted.
  • After that is done click on the reports button at the bottom and save it to file name it Kas.
  • Save it somewhere convenient like your desktop and just post only the detected Virus\malware in the report it will be at the very top under Detected post those results in your next reply.

Note: This tool will self uninstall when you close it so please save the log before closing it.

Advertisements

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok, done. There doesn't seem to be any problems detected by Kaspersky. Here is the very top of the report:

Autoscan: completed 9 minutes ago (events: 544544, objects: 544028, time: 07:08:23)
Result: OK (events: 526168)

The computer is still agonizingly slow to boot, to load the browser and to begin working.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi mfrank1,

That’s all you need to do. Your PC is clean.

I now suggest you head to the XP forum if the PC is still running slow – they will be able to provide better advice than I can.

================================
In the meantime, some suggestions:

• to improve general perfomance, consider adding another 1Gb stick of RAM to complement what you already have.
  • You can download and use Google Chrome as an alternative browser. It is fast and would make your browsing experience bearable.
  • Try uninstalling applications that are installed in your computer and observe for significant changes in perfomance. Doing it one at a time and restarting the machine everytime, until you find and isolate what is hogging the system resources.
===============================

Cleaning up

We need to remove all the tools that you have used.
This is so that should you ever be re-infected, you will download updated versions. It will also remove the quarantined Malware from your computer.
  • Download OTC to your desktop and run it
  • Click Yes to beginning the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. Choose Yes.
Lets Re-hide system files and folders.
Opening Windows Explorer (to get there right-click your Start button and go to "Explore"), please do the following:
  • Go to Tools (drop-down menu at the top of the window)
  • Go down and click Folder Options
  • Click on the View tab
  • Find the Hidden Files and Folders section of the box and check "Do not show hidden files and folders"
  • Again under Hidden Files and Folders, find "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and check it (if it's already checked)
  • Click Apply, and then Ok at the bottom.
  • Close the window
Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vunerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically.

Automatic Updates for Windows
  • Click Start.
  • Select Settings and then Control Panel.
  • Select Automatic Updates.
  • Click Automatic (recommended)
  • Choose a day and a time when you know the computer will be on and connected to the internet.
  • Click Apply then OK.
Since your system is clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs.

Anti SpywareSpywareBlaster: prevents spyware from installing in the first place.
SpywareGuard: catch and block spyware before it can execute.
IESpy-Ad block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email.
SUPERAntispyware a powerful tool which can "search and destroy" spywares that infected your system.
Malwarebyte's MBAM also another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system.
Note: If you find your system slows down after installing any of these, just uninstall it, or disable it from running at startup.

Lastly, lets clear out all your temp files. This will help your computer from bogging down and slowing. Many infections sometimes load from a temporary file location.Download TFC (Temp File Cleaner) to your desktop, or other location.
Save any unsaved work. TFC will close all open application windows.
Double-click TFC.exe to run the program.
If prompted, click "Yes" to reboot.
To give you an insight on how computers were infected in the first place, I highly recommend reading this article originally written by Tony Klein.

Regards.

mfrank1

mfrank1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Salagubang--Many, many thanks for all the time you have put into helping me clean my system. I wish you continued success with your training period (although it looks to me like you're ready to be called an Expert yourself). - mfrank1

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Thanks. I've had great mentors. ;)

Should you like to learn more about removing malware and spyware, join our GeekU malware removal training program (free).

Be safe out there. :D

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.