Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help: Computer restarts when playing games

• Please log in to reply

apyabt

apyabt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, was wondering if anyone might be able to help me.

When I play certain games (Tropico 3, Saints Row 2, Counterstrike...) my computer restarts. At the beginning this was only happening occasionally and only after about 1/2 hours of play, but now it's happening pretty much as soon as I turn the games on.

All of the games run through Steam and I contacted them and they seem to have no answers.

I've never had this issue with any other games and I play much higher spec games than these, so I was unsure that it was my system. Have looked through the forums and have found people with the same problems and have done all of the things that seemed to have worked for them.

* I have increased my GPU and CPU fan speed
* I have changed the Startup and Recovery Settings and deselcted Automatically Restart
* I have gone onto the DirectX Diagnostic Tool and enabled all of the DirectX features.
* All of my tempertures are reasonable (GPU - 42-57, CPU 27-45).
* Checked and installed all new drivers.
* It is not dusty, all cleaned out recently.
* Went into Bios setup in section "PC Health" found option for temperature warning which makes pc shuts down if it raises above certain temperature - disabled.

Computer specs are:

Processor AMD Phenom™ II X3 720
Processor Memory (RAM) Kingston HyperX 4.00 GB
Graphics XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890
Gaming graphics 2431 MB
Primary hard disk 114GB Free (466GB Total)
OS Windows 7 Home Premium
Motherboard Manufacturer Gigabyte (GA-MA785GM-US2H)
System type32-bit operating system

Wondering if it is the PSU? Got my computer built at a small computer show near me and they fitted their own PSU - not sure of the make.

Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you give me the model/make of the PSU? If that isn't available, give the total wattage, and amps on the +12V rail(s). It should be on a sticker or written on the PSU.
When a game causes your computer to restart, check event viewer for any errors during the time of the restart.

apyabt

apyabt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Don't know the make of the PSU as it was fitted by a shop and the guy said that the one I gave them wasn't powerful enough so they fitted one of their own. Says on the side of the PSU that it is 600. Can't see anything about +12V rails...

In the Event Viewer here is a Critical Kernal-Power:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This is all that seems to come up around the time of the restart.

Edited by apyabt, 03 November 2010 - 06:16 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Run Furmark: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
Let me know how that fares.