Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet connection stopping

• Please log in to reply

cffdrnkr

cffdrnkr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: I think I messed up. Just got a compaq 6412us (AMD Antlon XP 2000, 40 gig HD, 256 MB DDR on board LAN) off of ebay and it didn't come with any disks. It has Windows XP on it, but for some reason it would not stay on line. I installed the dial up information and once it was on line, after about 10 mins, it would just stop. I hooked up the cable modem. Once again it would go on line and then just stop. Checked ipconfig and reset everything.

Took it to the computer shop and they said it was overheating, so they put in new fans, which it was. The computer guy said that it's not a hardware problem. If it was then it wouldn't restart after rebooting.

There are no other problems with it. Everything works fine except internet. I have updated all the drivers.

The computer shop guy said write down the XP number on the case and reformat the hard drive, if nothing else worked, so I did and it still will not stay on line. I did however had it on line long enough to update windows and the drivers.

Tried TCP optizmer, regcleaner, disk clean up, defrag, new NIC cards, updated those drivers, new modem and called compaq and microsoft. Cleaned out the device manager and checked on what was installed and enabled. No one seems to know what is causing it.

Ran adaware, spybot and panda on line scan...nothing found.
Any help is welcomed.....running out of things to try.

Advertisements

cffdrnkr

cffdrnkr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: Just got off the phone with COMPAQ, I ordered the recovery disk kit. IT was only $12.08. For 4 disks that will set everything back to new, hopefully. The tech said something about messing up the bios when someone trys to reinstall windows XP home from a disk not from COMPAQ. dunno.

Will post again after the disks get here and hopefully everything is fixed.

Lesson learned. Don't reinstall Windows XP Home on a COMPAQ without their recovery disk kit. Causes more problems than it's worth.

cffdrnkr

cffdrnkr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Lesson Learned. NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING.

I just got the recovery disks from COMPAQ today. Listen it's a great deal. I got all 5 disks to reinstall Win XP for only $12.08. Great deal.

My problem wasn't the hard drive or the motherboard or the TCP/IP files being corrupted It was a bad LAN card.

Just replaced the card and it doesn't give me any troubles.

Remember, Never assume anything and take one step at a time. Don't cross anything off your list of what it isn't until you check it out.

Thank everyone for checking out this post.

Problem solved.. gonna go sit in the corner for a while. :tazz: