Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Pro Blue Screen Registry file failure...Well it started wit

• Please log in to reply

korkykat

korkykat

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there
First of all, good evening to you all, i am a newbie to this great site but i would like to say hi!

Now for the bad stuff

I am running Windows XP pro and i have had the blue screen of death come up on my monitor....

Had these before which have been ram related, but this one was way different...

The first blue screen i had said....

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

I went on to a random google page which sent me to this web page...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

I followed the prompts after starting recovery console and did the usual chkdsk /r which all whent well be it slow but eventually rebooted and now no blue screen but all i get is...

Windows could not start because the following file was missing or corrupt

\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair the file blah blah blah

Why o why did i go to microsoft Knowledge base

Please please help

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer ie: a branded computer. That quote above is from the article you mentioned in your post.
Is your computer a branded one ie: Dell, HP, etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 November 2010 - 01:33 PM.

korkykat

korkykat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ugrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

My computer is a built to spec one, but has had a Windows XP Pro system installed destined for a Dell Pc.

I have put the disk back in, booted from the CD and am now in the options to select Repair !!!!!!

Have i blown it??

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Have you followed all the four steps on rebuilding the registry on the Microsoft article.
OR did you just run chkdsk. Chkdsk will not fix this.
Before you run a repair installation, it is better to try the registry procedure.
If you find the Microsoft article difficult to follow this one is probably easier
http://www.aitechsol...inxpnoboot.html
How much is on the computer that is vital to you to recover in case further steps do not work.
A repair install is usefully suvccessful and your personal data is usually preserved.
However, the advice is always to recover it first./

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 November 2010 - 04:01 PM.

korkykat

korkykat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
umm
I see what you mean.

I have followed the steps from the article but at the command prompt when i enter the copy lines if that makes sense it saves the file line. When i enter the c:\windows line (every other line if that makes sense) it comes up with a bad command, difficult to explain really so i don't think i may have successfully entered all the line correctly....is there no way of copy and pasted onto a memory usb stick or something to help....Phew

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy system c:\windows\mytmp\system.bak

Are you sure you have read this correctly YOU type the command in the bolder print. You press enter after each command

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 November 2010 - 02:51 PM.

korkykat

korkykat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there

I have done exactly to the letter, the only difference is this is what my line looks like

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config>copy system c:\windows\mytmp\system.bak

the area highlighted is in lower case???

korkykat

korkykat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
now got it to change to upper case and still getting the message "The system cannot find the file specified"

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Have you made the tmp directory.

copy system c:\windows\mytmp\system.bak

The command is copy (space) system (space) C:\windows\mytmp\system.bak with everything from the c: with no spaces.

and what you type is in bold

korkykat

korkykat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok its worked, going to work through the sheet

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
TAKE YOUR TIME - one wrong command and it will either come back no recognised or you will completely muck it up.