Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAID failure.

• Please log in to reply

Aristocracy

Aristocracy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know much about RAID to begin with, or anything in the aspects of it.

I put it on the new PC because everyone said that RAID was good for reading data off HDD's faster.
And I thought faster was better.

Anyway, to the point...

I just moved back home with the parents 'cause I lost my job. And instead of unplugging my sister's PC and all that, I just threw my video card into hers so I could still crunch some games.
Anyway, months later brings us to the present. I went to my room, snagged up my PC and hooked it all back up, threw the video card back in it, and started it up.

First thing I get is some message on the boot screen saying the RAID 0 is offline and none of the HDD's are detected.

So I guess the questions are, is there still a way to boot off one of the HDD's without RAID and access my desktop? Or is there a way to fix this in the BIOS or RAID Utility menu?
There's honestly no reason that it should not be working in the first place. Everything was hunky dory when I put it away in my room a couple months ago, and just hooking it up and turning it on and now it doesn't work.

P.S. Don't get too complicated with a lot of acronyms in fixes or suggestions because I probably won't understand them.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In a RAID 0 configuration two hard drives are presented in such a fashion that the system will see them as one big drive. Two 250Gb hard drives for example will be seen in Windows as one 500Gb hard drive.
If a drive in a RAID 0 setup fails, then the entire configuration falls down and the machine doesn't boot. This type of RAID has no fail-safe option. If a drive dies, you can't rebuild it by replacing the defective drive. In other RAID setups the system will keep going until you can replace the faulty drive.

In a nutshell - no you can't boot the system anymore if the drives have issues. You should go to the website of the people who made the hard drives and get their diagnostic tools.

Aristocracy

Aristocracy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, thank you.