Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Inspiron

• Please log in to reply

welcome123

welcome123

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi guys,
i have this little dell inspiron mini notebook, it starts up ok does everything it should but all i have is a desktop background and thats it, no task bar, no icons, its the same in safe mode, i can't system restore or right click the desktop, any help please would be great.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
If you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete does the Task Manager appear? If so, look for a process called explorer.exe. If it isn't listed, go to File ->Run (New Task). In the box that appears type explorer.exe and press Enter.

Does the desktop appear now?

welcome123

welcome123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi, thanks for your help, task manager dont come up, i can't seem to do anything with it, at first i thought safe mode but again just the desktop shows, i got the curser there and it all works fine, just no icons or taskbar.

Edited by welcome123, 04 November 2010 - 12:17 PM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Let me just confirm that you don't have access to the task manager in Safe Mode either, is that correct? If you press the Windows Key + R does the run box appear?

Edit-> Can you try accessing the task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 04 November 2010 - 01:26 PM.

welcome123

welcome123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi, sorry for the delay,
im running windows xp which was the system from new,
i can't access task manager in safe mode or any of the key combinations.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
There are a couple ways to attack this, but I would recommend we get a backup of your files before we go messing around. Here is a link where Happyrock explains how to use Puppy Linix to mount the failed OS and extract your files. It's a lot easier than me typing it all out again.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 05 November 2010 - 06:06 AM.