Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install Office Ulitimate 2007

• Please log in to reply

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have Office Basic 2007 on my computer. When I try to install the Office Ultimate 2007 version the computer locks up. I have unintalled the Basic verstion but the computer still locks up during the install of Ultimate. I really need a full version of Powerpoint for school. Please help.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Have you tried using OpenOffice Suite which is free and has a Powerpoint program. All the OO programs work just fine with any MS Office files. Only mention this because you have a school project and possibly a deadline to get it finished until the problem with Office Ultimate 2007 can be solved.

Edited by AstraNut, 04 November 2010 - 09:55 AM.

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have heard of Open Office, yes thanks AstraNut. Just concerned that I can't get Office Ultimate to install without locking the computer. The Office Basic version worked fine but no Powerpoint option. I have uninstalled Office and have nothing now.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Can you try disabling your antivirus software during the installation routine? Are you receiving any errors at all when the computer freezes? Are there any entries in the Event Viewer when you try to install? You can get there by going to Start -? Run and typing eventvwr.msc

Then look under both System and Application. I know there are some automated programs you could use that will pull this information, but I don't know what they are.

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I did get Error 1704 once and during another attempt I got 1101 I think. In the box was the option to "undo" changes. If the computer had not locked by that time it would when I clicked the undo option. The error boxes do not occur every time.

Not anti-virus interference.

Don't know if this helps but I just tried to install in Safe mode and as soon as I click to begin the install I get a Microsoft Send Error Report box. and the installation stops but the computer does not freeze.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
If you get the "Send Error" report button, there should be an Event logged in the Even Viewer. Can you check to see what you can find and post the full message. I did some research last night about your problem and found some other people with the same problem. The unfortunate part is none of their problems got resolved.

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I did get it installed. I left the computer to defrag all night and tried to load it this morning. It seemed to be very slow but it completed and works ok EXCEPT when I hit the little question mark for Office Help. Then the computer slows way down and the Office program becomes unresponsive. The help box never appears.

What do you want from Event Viewer? I saw many "errors" and "warnings" but not sure how to get you a report.

Thanks

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Quick follow up. I get Error 1312 when I try to use the Office Help. The Configuration box appears and just hangs there. Then an error box says Cannot create directory Windows\Installer\90120000-006E-0409-0000.....file already exists.

Did a search for that but can't find it to remove. Is it in the Registry?

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Quick follow up. I get Error 1312 when I try to use the Office Help. The Configuration box appears and just hangs there. Then an error box says Cannot create directory Windows\Installer\90120000-006E-0409-0000.....file already exists.

Did a search for that but can't find it to remove. Is it in the Registry?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
From what I can find about similar events surrounding Office installations problems like this occur when running two different versions of Office on the same machine. That's leading me to believe that you might have some left over files from the uninstallation of the Basic version.

Is this a full version of Office 2007 Ultimate I assume? If so, you might want to try removing Ultimate, running the Microsoft Office FixIt utility and try installing Office 2007 Ultimate once all the junk is removed.

Advertisements

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ran the Fix It and back at zero again. Locks up when loading.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Well, I'm a little stumped on this one. No errors in the Event Log, and just a freeze when installing. There are a couple other options, but I'm not sure you want to try them for fear of breaking something. Maybe someone else has some suggestions?

You could try the Microsoft Installer Cleanup utility, but I'm not sure how well that works with newer versions of Office. It was pulled from the Microsoft website awhile ago because people were breaking their machines by using the program. You can download it other places if you want. I can find you a link if it's something you want to try.

I searched my machine and found the keys in the registry associated with the only error you were able to find concerning the help file. I think there were 3 keys associated with the {90120000-0020-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}entry. You can find the file by opening Windows Explorer and navigating to the path in the error message. You'll have to first click on Tools -> Folder Options and then the View Tab. Scroll down in the box and check the radio button next to "Show hidden files and folders" and then uncheck the box that says "Hide protected operating system files". This will make the files visible.

Once you find it, I'm not sure if you should delete it or not. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I've never encountered this problem before and my Google searches haven't turned up anything useful.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will offer some assistance.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

I really need a full version of Powerpoint for school. Please help.

Why haven't you just installed OpenOffice to get your PowerPoint completed for school and solve this problem later?

You might try using the Revo Uninstaller to make sure you have a clean uninstall for BOTH Microsoft programs, then try to install the one you want. These may have Critical Updates from Microsoft that have been installed that may be causing you problems if not also uninstalled. My Office 2007 gets them once in a while so I'm sure you have some.

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I did get it installed again this weekend. I ran the Fix It program a few times but that didn't seem to clear the Error 1312. The computer stopped locking but of course would not load because of the error. I searched the registry for the 90120000....key and deleted the only example it found but that didn't seem to help.

The file C:Windows\Installer was hidden but I would have thought the Fix It cleaner would have removed it. I had to look for the file that was being recorded in the Error 1312 mesg. a few times before I found it. I just deleted everything that started as 90120000 in the Installer folder.

Not knowing what functions come with Open Office I was a little worried. The class is an intro to computer course that teaches Microsoft Office so not knowing if there would have been a function missing from Open Office that the class workbook was asking for got me a little worried. My other classes would accept homework in WordPad or hand written if I had to.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
OpenOffice is totally compatible with Microsoft's Office. Would have worked just fine as long as you paid attention on saving your files and make sure you saved them as a Microsoft normal file format. OO gives you lots of options in this regard. And being free, you can't beat the price.