Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC stone dead

• Please log in to reply

starbear

starbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

What disk has the new cloned OS on it is it disk "0"

As of now its not Disk 0 but actually Disk 1. (see table in above posting). I know you said to ensure that it was in position 0 and I tried to do this in the BIOS by making it first and sometimes the only HDD to boot. But BIOS lists disks as first, second, third etc. and there is no postion 0. And of course, as I cannot get it to boot via the new cloned HDD I cannot then access the computer management/storage panel (as table above) and so cannot confirm that it is displayed as Disk 0 there either.

Need to ask, are both drives serial ATA?

Referring to above table again: Disk 0 (original HDD) and Disk 1 Cloned HDD) are both serial ATA whereas Disk 2 (letter D) is parallel ATA (as I understand it) and has no OS on it.

Try this....Assuming the drives are all serial ATA, disconnect the old drives (power and serial cable) and leave the new cloned HD in place and reboot and go into bios and make sure you see the new drive and that it's set to first boot device.

Next, Save and exit bios and reboot. If it does then that means the cloning procedure worked correctly. Once your computer boots into windows, create a txt document and call it " New hard drive" and save it. Once you connect the old Hard drives and reboot, you will know if you're in the new OS

Next, shut the pc down and reconnect the other drives and reboot.

OK will try that and see what results I can get (was really hoping not to open it up again as have tied all cables etc really neatly!) but as needs must. Thanks again.

Advertisements