Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think I have a hardware problem.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes please let us know as we like to know the ending result good or bad.

Advertisements

Kenparsons

Kenparsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry for my lack of knowledge amd my curiosity but can you explain to me about what "Rails" is and a reason why mine could be at this low of 3.3?

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The 3.3v gets it's power from the +5v rail.
This is where your problem is even though the 5v rail is showing good.
Obviously the 3.3 is failing which causes a fluctuation in the available standby power for your system. When it drops like yours has then there is not a constant power signal causing the system to shutdown at random times.

Kenparsons

Kenparsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for that use info.

update: I did get my hands on a 585 PSU but the connectors did not fit my motherboard :D But I did notice my graphics card was not fully pushed in. I secured it tightly thinking maybe this could be the problem. It did help a lot but not fully; the restarts, freezes, and blue screens are not as much. BUT I noticed it happens when I do more activity on my computer. Like I do music recording and I use 2 different programs at once that uses a lot of ram. I can't go 1 minute without my computer restarting while trying to record. So I guess I'm still on the search for a PSU 500 or greater.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D Let us know and we will keep monitoring for your updates.

Kenparsons

Kenparsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Update: I grew restless tracking down a 500+ PSU so now I have tried a few things that may eliminate the blame on the PSU.

I put my 350 watt PSU along with my old Radeon 2400 HD stock graphics card. The Freezing and restarts remain the same. I have now put back in my 650 watt PSU and kept the Radeon 2400 HD stock graphics card in. My computer has frozen twice while attempting to record a song.

So I believe this means that the PSU is not to blame nor my nivida GTX 260. Is that right?

But the good thing is now that I have the Radeon card in there I can now plug in my CD drive to run further tests. I have to go back to class now and I am working tonight so I may not get the chance until sometime tomorrow. I will further update when the tests are ran.

Kenparsons

Kenparsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I burned off the iso for the hard drive test, here are the sections when I restart:

1. SCSI and ATA Support
2. ATA Support

I clicked on "SCSI and ATA Support". Four more section appeared:

1. For Adaptec
2. For LSI 320 Controller
3. For tekram & Symbols Controllers
4. For ATTO 320 controller.

I choose 1. "For Adaptec". I ran a advance scan which took some time. the following results were achieved:

"operation completed successfully disposition code "0x00"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Make sure no USB devices are connected like a flash drive or external hd or optical drive.
The options to what is causing this is getting very thin now.
You have tested the memory and the hd with no errors correct?
You have recovered your system back to factory settings with no resolution.
The voltages still show a problem so that still may be a issue.
According to your test both the video cards are working.
You have run chkdsk /r with no errors showing.
We can try a sfc aka System File Checker and see if there is any missing system files or corrupt ones.
The only thing not tested is the mobo and cpu.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Kenparsons

Kenparsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I would like to take the time again to thank you for your time. The problem is not found yet but thanks for all of this informations and your knowledge.

I have tested the hd with no errors. I am now testing the memory. I have four sticks and I am only on my second one. I have done five passes on the first stick with no errors. I will update you when I test the rest of them and than I will do as you say. I could not perform a chkdsk /r. When I put chkdsk /r in run and a black box would appear and disappear. Nothing else happens.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thanks for the detailed update. I will wait for your memory results. :D

Advertisements

Kenparsons

Kenparsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I finished the memory tests, doing 5 or more passes on each stick. No errors came up.

My computer is lot worse now. It just keeps restarting before the windows login screen. it allows me to enter a "Start up Repair" mode. It searches for problems than a system restore option appears. I click yes and a "attempting repars.." bar starts going. Finally a "restart to finish repairs" option appears. All of this takes about 10 minutes. After it restarts the Microsoft loading bar appears and it freezes or restarts. Sometimes during this process a blue screen will appear and freeze my computer. I believe this is all very bad sign...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you have got to seriously think about replacing the PSU.
The GPU we can take a look at by running to diagnostics.
Go to Start and then to Run and Type in dxdiag and then click Enter
At the bottom of the System page click on Save All Information
Save As a Text file and save to Desktop.Include this file with your next reply.
On the DirectX Files tab, check at the bottom of the window for any problem notes.
On the Display Tab click the
Test DirectDraw button and wait for the results.
Then click the Test Direct3D button and wait for the results.

In your next reply include results of each of the above steps.

When done with that then do the following:

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Kenparsons

Kenparsons

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am not able to enter windows at all. I just keep getting blue screens and resets before I get to the log on screen. I'm doing yet another full system recovery as we speak.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not going to do you any good with the PSU failing.
Does your mobo have a built on video?
If so take out the add on card and use the built onboard.