Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to record audio

• Please log in to reply

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Welcome!

It all started, when my computer became out of gear because of the malfunctioning video card. We could not repair it since, so I am forced to use my laptop for everyday workings, including video and sound recording. This is where the troubles have started.

For some reason, I am unable to record audio from my laptop. You probably know these sound recording software - you define a file name, push the REC button, and the program saves the sounds into an MP3 or WAV file. This way, you can have music and sound effects from various programs and videos and save them as WAV or MP3 files.

The problem is, none of these audio applications seem to be working. The first one - Audio Playback Recorder - stated that "Your sound card is not capable of recording". The second one - All Sound Recoder XP - wouldn't even let me choose the sound card, and only records from the microphone. Last,but not least, my video recorder application also failed (Growler Gun Cam). It recognizes the laptop's sound card, but the sounds of the recording it creates is entirely screwed, choppy, and broken. I am curious about is there a way to fix this recording problem? I can't record any sound or video this way, hence I can't do my job either! Please, tell me a working solution for this problem!

The laptop is an Acer Extensa 5635Z, and it has some kind of "Conexant HD Audio" for sound card, if I'm correct. The operating system is Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go here: http://www.acer.im/a...&CRC=2980211862
And click Notebook -> Extensa -> 5635Z. Under operating system, choose Windows XP (Professional or Home) x32.
Then scroll down to find the Conexant audio driver. Download, install, and reboot. Let me know how it works out.

Also go to Device Manager, and look under each category (especially audio controllers) for any warnings or errors. Also tell me if there are any unknown devices.

Edited by edge2022, 04 November 2010 - 05:55 PM.

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I have refreshed the audio driver from the website you recommended, rebooted, but I still can't record anything. I even tried with the video recording software, but the sounds are the same - distorted, choppy, and unenjoyable.

I checked the Device Manager, but no unknown or errorneous devices were found, everything seems to be in order.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So, do you have a microphone plugged into your sound card, or are you using an internal mic in your laptop?
If you are using an internal mic, try an external usb mic.

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I think I DO have an internal microphone, but I don't have the slightest idea how to disable it, so the system will record from the sound card, and not the microphone...

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
What devices do you have connected to the sound card?
From another forum:

Open Control Panel and Sounds and Audio devices, click the Audio tab and then Sound Recording, and Volume

Open that window, and try to slide the volume setting for the mic all the way down.