Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Rejecting RAM

• Please log in to reply

Legacy

Legacy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Gigabyte K7 Triton GA-7N400-L motherboard with dual channel RAM. Until now I only had one stick of Advanced Modules 512DDR PC3200 400MHZ RAM installed. Recently I bought a stick of Kingston 512DDR PC3200 400MHZ RAM and attempted to install it in the dual channel and the system rejected it.

I tried it alone and the machine booted up fine, but when together, in either order, the system won't boot up. I've tried installing them into DDR1 and DDR2, DDR1 and DDR3, but the results are the same (The 4 184-Pin slots are labeled DDR1/DDR2 and DDR3/DDR4). Either A) A long beep every couple seconds (Supposedly signifies a Refesh Failure); or B) The system boots up, runs a memory test, says the memory checks out and then doesn't boot up the HD. When in DDR1 and DDR3 the system doesn't even boot up, just lets out one long beep one after the other. The beeps are supposed to mean Refresh Failure, Parity error, or they could mean 64k memory error.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Both sticks would have to match exactly in terms of error-correction and wether buffered/unbuffered, perhaps?