Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Memory Issues with Computer

• Please log in to reply

Michelle K.

Michelle K.

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

So I don't know if it's the new memory that was just put in or what b/c I don't trust Best Buy after the [bleep] I went through with them, & they are the ones who put it into my computer.

All of a sudden after my computer working fine for a week & me seeing improvements in speed, I'm having such serious memory issues where it says "not enough quota" when I have my computer on & try to work with my software. I came to my computer about an hour ago & it said Carbonite couldn't write to the file.

I had to reboot twice since last night just to be able to use my computer which is just not normal for me.

I'm running on XP Professional.

So a couple of things:

1. Is there a new virus/spyware out there that is attacking this badly where you can't even work, see your programs, e-mails etc. (all graphics are disappearing), I can't even have Fx & TB open at the same time unless I reboot.

I also just bought Super Anti Spyware b/c I read it can find things even Spy Bot S&D & Spyware blaster can't find. I use Anti Vir for my anti virus program & have even been using online scanners to search. It finds something sometimes, gets rid of it, but the problem never goes away (see problem #2).

2. Another problem I've been having for about 2-3 months now is that my uploads are HUGE. I've gone over the max 60 allowed per month & it's not me, something is on my computer I can't get rid of & no, I can't reformat. I have no help to put everything back & last time I reformatted about 3 years ago it took me & my assistant 3 days to get everything back & that's with him telling me what to do step by step.

They even swapped the modem & still nothing has changed, the uploads went down slightly, but not enough for it to be normal.

2. I also realized that I never changed the virtual memory after now having 4 GB put in (DDR2).

What do I set my virtual memory to?

I hope someone is a die hard geek out there & can help. I've had people try to help before & I could tell they didn't know what they were doing.

Thank you

Michelle

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hello .... Welcome to GeeksToGo,, We will be happy to help you. :D ;) ;)

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

We will have to attack this bit by bit. The new ram could have gone bad (it happens).

I am not a expert in virus's, but I do know they can do some funky stuff. And it could be related. New virus's and malware come out every week and the scanners have a hard time keeping up.

Lets start by sending you to the malware forum. If you do have virus's or malware it becomes fruitless for us to go any furthur. Once clean, then we can proceed.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Michelle K.

Michelle K.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Wow, it took 2 hours to get the e-mail notifying me that you responded. Something weird is happening today.

Ok, someone else from another forum is helping already although I'm having a snag b/c MBAM won't run for me & yes I'm talking with them about it.

It's a custom machine. I'll give you the details if the other forum can't help.

I tried to go to that URL you gave me, but it gave me a 404. Both pages did.

Thanks a ton :D

Michelle

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If the other forum is helping then stick with them. If they can't help, you can come back here.
Do not use the advice from multiple forums at the same time. It will be counter productive and could create more issues.

If MBAM doesn't work you most likely have malware, that combined with network issues.

Oh, and the links do work. They go to our malware forum (I check all my links when I post).

Michelle K.

Michelle K.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
They weren't working at the time then.

I know not to follow more than one forum at the same time.

Thanks

Michelle