Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Microsoft Security Essentials Alert Has Taken Over My Computer On

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is it getting power... Are the lights coming on or is it totally dead ?

Advertisements

nighttide

nighttide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
It's utterly dead. I noticed this problem about a week ago when the virus thing popped up. Sometimes it would shut down completely on its own right in the middle of something I was doing, and I would have to reboot it, or it would reboot itself even though I had not tried to reboot it. Sometimes when I presse the start up button it would start immediatel but other times it woul not start right away but start up on its own and then shut down or reboot. It was acting so quirky that I decided to backup all my important files and have them on discs. Do you think this is something caused by the virus we were dealing with or could it be something else. Is there something I can do to remedy this or should I be thinking about a replacement? Thanks. nighttide

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Definitely not Virus related, at a guess I would say it is probably the PSU failing or maybe even the motherboard. And with the price of a new motherboard (and fitting if you do not know how to) you would probably be better getting another system

nighttide

nighttide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Glad to hear it's not virus related. I guess a new system is the best way to go. Thanks for all your help, and I'd appreciate it if you'd give me the link to leave feedback again. Sorry I couldn't complete the last steps, but I know, since you were in charge, it was going to turn out all right! Thanks again!!! nighttide

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
As long as you have good backups you will actually find this to be less traumatic than you thought. My reasoning behind this is that you will probably get windows 7 on the new system and you will be amazed at the speed and stability (once you get used to it that is :D ) Also if you get a chance ask for a 64bit version as that is a tad more secure and easier to fix, at the moment. But, if you have any questions about that do not hesitate to ask

Link http://www.geekstogo...to-go-feedback/

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.