Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to boot from dvd

• Please log in to reply

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
The machine is a dell dimension e310 running windows xp. It is stuck in a loop where it gets stuck on the boot screen and gives choices to start window as normal, last good config etc..., no atter what you choose (even safe mode, the machine returns to the same page.

In the past i have used a vista recovery disk and a program called "Save me" to repair this issue. However I need to boot the machine from the machines "DVD drive". When I go into setup there is now option to boot from the DVD only the cd. If I choose cd it simply says device not found hit f1 to continue.

I have entered biso several times and cannot figure out the solution the bios page says the following:

Dell system DV051
Bios version A04 (4/4/1996

any help would be most appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
CD drive and DVD Drives work in the same way, therefore an option to boot from CD in the BIOS also applies to booting from DVD.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is the drive seen in the bios area?
Is the drive shown on the bios boot up screen when you 1st turn the computer on?