Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help - feeling frustrated

• Please log in to reply

uday_vista

uday_vista

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Geeks,

I am having Vista installed on C: drive which was 230GB and I wanted to make partition of it. As the drive was primary n boot,system was not allowing to partition. I used Partition Magic s/w to convert the drive to logical because my friends told that I can partition only logical drives. The s/w restarted the PC to make changes and problem started.

I got error as No Boot devices found. Then I tried to re-install vista on C:\ size 230GB (now logical) but I got error as drive is not suitable to install OS. Then I tried to change the drive to dynamic through DISKPART utility of vista and then my hard disk vanished.

I am not able to see any drives that I had...No data...No OS...nothing.

I am totally blank as I have lost my data...Please please give me some help for this...I am really frustrated.

- Uday

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, Windows MUST be on a primary partition to be bootable, not a logical one.
Boot back off the Vista DVD again and you'll have an option to remove all the partitions and the drives. Remove everything and let Windows sort it out.

uday_vista

uday_vista

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
When I insert Vista dvd for a fresh install of OS,I am not getting any drive in the listing where we choose the partition to install OS upon..

It shows as if no Hard disk is there..