Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2nd build p55

• Please log in to reply

Carl P

Carl P

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi guys, I recently built a h55 i3 pc and all went extremely well, I gave the pc to my mum and started my p55 i5 750 build. I have a p7p55d-e delux MB i5 750 cpu 2x2gb hyper X 1600 ram thermaltake frio cooler, 2x1tb hard drives, window 7 64bit and a gtx 460 1gb. withina couple of days after the build I noticed the sytem not running smootly and some programs like save files, some game programs, also fraps wes no longer able to access. I have needed to reinstall fraps several times as after a day or to when I click to open the pc says that the file has either moved or been deleted. I have also had the OS looking sloppy with large white squares and longer loading times than the h55 duel core. I have run the cpu at stock and OC'd and had the same results, the cpu runs stable in prime 95 even at 3.6 whith isn't the best I could just 200bclock and 18X 1.2v all the rest auto. Anyway I am now getting a message saying cannot open AsIO.sys !! which I suspect is my arma 2 save files as ever since the message (which comes up everytime I start the pc) I have had to start the game from the start. I then updated the arma2 patch to 1.07 and now can't use the save files I have now. Sorry for the long message just new to building and didn't have any problems with the h55 build. Any sugestions would be appreciated, also removed the second hard drive after I noticed the problems then reinstalled win 7, I wanted to run raid but as of yet have no knowledge of using it, the OS did not recognize my 2nd HDD either so that's why I took it out as I thought some files were being moved to that HDD then not being recalled. Thanks for reading this long [bleep] crap.

Advertisements

Carl P

Carl P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Come on anything is better than nothing, am I not setting up my BIOS right? is my hard drive not setup right?, could this be cpu or motherboard related? software related? sloppy computer, slow loading, some freezing, losing installed files. Please anything?

Carl P

Carl P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Is noone able to post or does noone know what's going on. carlosamigos@live.com.au if you can help

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Dude....You're giving way too much info, but at the same time you're not giving out enough. Why don't you start by giving a list of components, like this:

My Specs

Mother Board: Evga NForce 780i SLI

Windows 7 32 bit

Proccessor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Processor 3.16 GHz Oc'd to 3.8 GHz

Tuniq Tower Heatsink & 120 mm Fan

Ram: CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB

Video Card: Evga 1-GeForce GTX 280

Power Supply: Thermaltake Tough Power 1000 watt

Hard Drives: 2-30 GB WD Raptors, 10,000 rpm on raid 0

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

Full Tower, All Aluminum Case

USB G-5 Laser mouse

It sounds like your OS may be borked, I would consider doing a complete reformat and making sure the system runs stable. A fresh start may be best.

Raid is great, what do you want to use it for? speed or to back up your files and os?
It's not hard to setup raid but people need more info about your components.

After you reformat, check to see if you have the latest bios.
Check the temps and make sure they are good and within specs.
Don't start installing unnecessary programs or games until your system is stable.
Make sure you do windows update reboot and check for updates reboot (you get the idea) until all updates are complete.
Make sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware.

Try these programs to monitor your system for temps and voltages.
Don't get in a mad rush and just start installing without understanding how each one works.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

http://www.cpuid.com...ares/cpu-z.html

http://download.cnet...4-10788513.html

Anyways, post back with your specs.

Carl P

Carl P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks man, I want raid for a bit more speed for gaming (arma2). I will do another install, can I use the same windows 7 disk after I format the HDD? or can I use another HDD and start fresh?
MY system specs are as follows

Motherboard: ASUS p7p55d-e deluxe
CPU: Intel i5 750
RAM: Kingston hyperX 1600 2gbx2
Video: Nvidia GTX 460 1gb
Case: Antec 900
Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO
PSU: Antec truepower 650w
HDD: Samsung 1tbx2, Only using one now!

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Nice components, There should be a section in the user manual on how to set up the raid array. I am trying to download the user manual but the links on the asus website asks me to download other junk in order to read the manual. I did find one but it was in Chines. : P . You need to set the raid up to use strip "0" that is for speed. With a system like yous, it would be a sin not use raid = D. I'm not sure at this point but you may need a floppy drive. try reading the manual carefully and see if you set it up. I'll try to find a manual and post back.

Carl P

Carl P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah dude that's right, I was taken back by the fact that in todays age we are still using floppies and when I bought the components I never thought i would need a floppy drive. I will need to get a drive for it and then set it up, I would love to go twin ssd's (can you use raid with ssd?) just for games that are memory and cpu heavy and of course the OS. I have heard of people using their ram to store arma2 have you heard of this?, it's called (correct me if i'm wrong) ram disk. They are able to make their ram a permanent storage device from what I have read and it make the fps on arma double, again, so I've read. This OS thing can I use the same win 7 disk if I start with a new HDD? does the disk need to know you are the same user for copyright reasons? My GTX is an EVGA too, do you have voltage control, my 460 has no voltage control though with precision I can still get about 30% up from stock. Off topic :D. What games u into? I'll stick to 1 question at a time from now on I just don't get alot of time to post so I throw it all up there when I get a chance, sorry ;)

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Yeah dude, You're all over the place, lol. Why don't we focus on one or two things at a time, mainly getting you're present system functioning? Let's start with setting up raid and get the system up and running stable with all stock settings. Learn to walk before you run. : )

Carl P

Carl P

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Alright dude, when I read back my post it sounds like i've been snortin speed for a week LOL! Anyway first thing mate, can I use the win 7 disk on a format and fresh install, with a new HDD/HDD's?, or will I have copyright issues? And so you know the win 7 was an OEM version (no instructions) from MSY computer parts. And second, is there any chance these could be hardware problems (cpu and MoBo wre ebayed)? I will be implementing any and all advice over the weekend as I'm working and don't have the time now.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I don't know what to tell you about your Win 7 OS. If you bought a win 7 disk for the setup you described earlier and all you're doing is swapping out drives then there should be no issue. If there is, then you can call MS and they will help you sort it out. I'm kinda at a loss on what you want to do with your hardware. You said you had two Samsung 1tbx2 hard drives. Now your getting different drives? Anyways, You need to install the two hard drives and get them setup with raid. Then go through your bios and set everything up to stock settings. NO overclocking. Check out the temps and voltages in bios to make sure they are within range of normal. Once you have the system running normal then you can install the OS.

After you install the OS you should make sure you have all the windows updates. Then check out the Asus website and see if there are any bios updates that may fix any known issues with that board. Download any new drivers for you hardware and make sure you install them correctly. Then you should get some hardware testing programs and run them to see how your system is functioning. You can try some of these.

http://download.cnet...4-10788513.html

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

That's as much as I or probably anyone else can or will help you with at this point......You need to try and get your system setup and functioning correctly before installing games and other programs. ( other then the one's I posted for testing ) Start with what I posted, and if you run into problems along the way, just post them.