Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Dear Computer Is Shot

• Please log in to reply

spikdboy

spikdboy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My main gaming computer just broke today, and I have no idea why. It's decked out, featuring a Radeon 9800 Pro, a gig of RAM, and plenty of free space. But today, I tried to load it up and the screen started replacing rows of lines during the startup with multi-colored blocks. The whole thing made me feel as if I was in an acid-trip.

Does anyone know what could be my problem? If I didn't give enough information, what else should I include?

Please help. I just bought Empire Earth II today and I NEED TO PLAY [bleep].

Advertisements

blingin67

blingin67

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Did the computer load up, or did it stop at some load up screen with the weird blocks and colors?

If it seemed to load up fine, besides the whole weird graphics thing, then it sounds as if it is your video card that is somehow messed up. Since you probably can't see what it is you're doing, you probably can't check anything software-wise that would affect the graphics. I would advise getting into the case and making sure all connections to the video card are secure.

If that doesn't do it, I'd unplug the video card and try to run your computer off of the video card that is on the motherboard. You'll probably have to plug your monitor up to the "original" port that went to the motherboard's video chip in order to do this. If everything runs fine off of the motherboard, you'll know it's your video card...beyond that, I don't have any ideas as of yet as to how you would check your video card and fix it...

NeCrite

NeCrite

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Another tip:
1 the reply before me is good to check
2 i dont know what u mean with multi-colored and where exactly but
if u start up and press F8 and run last running configuration and look if it starts up. If so update the vid drivers and maybe ur mainboard drivers 2.
3 If it doesnt boot reboot again press F8 till u get the menu and run safe mode without networking i suggest(is faster 2 boot)
The when ur in update ur drivers.

If ur problem is before the system contact its drive there is another problem and that would prolly be a hardware problem.
U boot, u see the ram going, then maybe scsi drives or cards then u see a dos screen with info bout the system and then it ask for bootdisk or the windows boot partition. That works and then u get the problems it is a combination of windows and the vidcard.

If it is inmediately at startup then u should put a spare vid card in to see if it works, same goes for monitor. Sounds n00bish but if u want to check for sure do that.

First try steps 1 to 3 then go for the other 2

spikdboy

spikdboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The computer starts with the multi-colored blocks as soon as it is turned on. The farthest I could decifer was to the screen that asks me if I want to put it into Safe Mode. After that, you really can't see anything that's on the computer.

spikdboy

spikdboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The keyboard isn't working either! Ahh!