Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Boot problems i/o device error

• Please log in to reply

inferlogic

inferlogic

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello All,
I was just wondering if anyone can help me. My computer will no longer boot up anymore, when I try I just get an i/o device error asking me to put a boot disk disk in and when it doesn't find one it gives me an error. Is there ayway I can fix my hard drive?

Before it stopped working I did used to get a couple of blue screens and I knew I had a few registry problems could this be the cause?

Thanks and appreciate any help.

Taz

Advertisement

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
Sounds like the hard drive has simply failed. They all will. They're mechanical, and as such they wear out. :D

New ones start at less than $40 (USD): http://www.newegg.co...nal-Hard-Drives

inferlogic

inferlogic

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks. Sounds like it will have to be a new hard drive then. Do you thik I would be able to set the bad hard drive up as a slave and use the data?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
It does sound like the drive has died as SpywareDr has stated.

If you know what hard drive you have you can use the manufacturers diagnostics to test it.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use Burncdcc Link is in my signature below

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you

1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool. If you are unsure of the drive manufacturer then you can try seagate diagnostics It sometimes works on other manufacturers. Hitachi diagnostics is also known to work on Toshiba drives.

As for hooking it as a slave and getting the data, well that can always be tried. But no guarantees.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,750 posts
While SpywareDr and 123Runner may be correct in saying the HDD has failed the symptoms you have described do not make this conclusive, has the HDD been making any abnormal noises such as the click of death, what is the storage capacity of the drive and how much available space was remaining, Vista Shadow Copy continuously requires 15% of the total HDD space to copy to and if it doesn`t have it you can have symptoms such as you describe, another possible cause could be a corrupt or damaged OS/Master Boot Record, do you have your Vista disk or Recovery disks that came with your computer as you may be able to do a repair installation as described in the link below;
http://www.vistax64....tall-vista.html
You could also consider using an external HDD enclosure to attempt and temporarily transfer the data to another computer so you can format the HDD, again you would need the OS disk or an equivalent and the 25 digit key code that came with it.
You can use one of the programmes at the link below such as Recuva to try and save your data; http://www.snapfiles...tarecovery.HTML

EDIT: In case you do not have recovery disk/s http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/

Edited by phillpower2, 07 November 2010 - 11:27 AM.

inferlogic

inferlogic

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for all your replies guys. I took some of your advise and downloaded my hard drive dagnostics. My hard drive is Samsung and thus downloaded the Samsusng diagnostic program and used it. It seems I have 2 errors or bad sectors and it will not let me format the hard drive in the diagnostic tool becuase of these errors. I have attached a photo of the errors I recieved whilst doing a hard drive scan.

IS there anything else I can do?

Thanks

p.s I tried the vista recovery as suggested by Phil but it wouldn't boot up on startup, I just burned the files i downloaded to the root of the cd was this right?

Posted Image

Edited by inferlogic, 08 November 2010 - 06:15 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
It's worn out, (beyond factory tolerances and can no longer read/write data reliably). Replace it.

If it has data on it that you gotta have you can try Ontrack. (Note that it can get quite expensive though).

Advertisement