Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus Vs Gigabyte Motherboards

• Please log in to reply

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
So I'm torn between the Asus P7p55d's and the Gigabyte UD3/UD4's. I know its impossible to really "future proof" a system, especially since my build is going to be an i5 with the 1156 socket. I'm already kind of limiting myself from the 1366 sockets already out there. But for my uses (and more importantly my budget) an i5 will suit me just fine since all I really do is mess around on the internet and play games. If I really find that hyper-threading would really be useful to me, they do make i7's in an 1156 socket.

Anyway the ASUS boards seems to be a little more "upgradable" and have more models with SLI options. The Gigabyte boards have great reviews, but are in the upper $180 price range for SLI options. I don't really plan on getting 2 cards since I'm getting a 1GB gtx 460. By the time I really need a better card, todays high end cards will be around the price range of the future midgrade card allowing me to keep a single card setup. But getting a board with 2 pci-e slots will give me the option if I felt so inclined later on down the road. I also don't really plan on overclocking, but again, I've never really messed around with OC and i'd like the option to if I wanted.

Secondly, are there really any benefits to the 3gb/s USB and 6gb/s Sata ports? or at least any benefit worth the extra $30-$40 for the mb that has these options? I don't plan on getting a SSD, but who knows later on....

So keeping around the $150 range, what do you guys recommend?

Edited by AF_Money, 07 November 2010 - 02:03 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
Here is another option to consider apart from the Asus and the Gigabyte http://www.newegg.co...7-206-_-Product

Secondly, are there really any benefits to the 3gb/s USB and 6gb/s Sata ports? or at least any benefit worth the extra $30-$40 for the mb that has these options? I don't plan on getting a SSD, but who knows later on

They are both faster options and with the board I have suggested you get the faster performance but without the extra cost, hope this helps.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
well now see, thats exactly the kind of feed back i was looking for. Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
You are more than welcome and I hope whatever you decide it all goes smoothly for you :D