Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hardware or software troubles

• Please log in to reply

carp3nt3r

carp3nt3r

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,
I am writing this account in chronological order so it may appear to ramble on. thanks for bearing with
me and reading this post.

The pc is an HP Pavilion a1742n, AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core 3800+, 1024 megs memory it has nvidia Geforce

6150 LE graphics (onboard) original PSU is 250 watts, OS= windows vista home premium sp2

The PC worked for a week or so, playing call of duty 1 with poor video performance. so i decided to upgrade

the memory and the video card, i researched and found the proper 4 gig ram, installed it and ran the PC a

few days with no problems. (vista 32 bit only recognises 3.5 g of the memory however.)

then I installed the msi radeon 4670-2D1G/D3 graphics card.

The pc ran fine for a week playing call of duty 4, with no problems. I then noticed the games start

page would scramble and pixelate badly if left too long, sort of a screen saver corruption, i think.

I came back into the room to find the on button flashing and no display signal and couldnt get it to run. I

found a tutorial and followed it removing & reconnecting the terminations of the PSU and the PC started for me.

I shut the PC down and brought home a new PSU to try, a thermaltake TR2 430 watt. I installed it but now can not

get the PC to boot up. The power button lights up, the fans all run,the hard drive seems to spin up, but i still

get the no signal msg from the monitor.

I am at wit's end here. thanks for any insight, carp3nt3r.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hello .... Welcome to GeeksToGo,, We will be happy to help you. :D ;) ;)

The specs for the MSI graphics card you put in are located Here. They recommend a 400 watt psu. The 43o watt you put in may still be underpowered.

Have you tried to start the computer in safe mode? It loads default drivers.
Did you install the drivers for the new card? Drivers are here

Have you tried going back to the onboard graphics?

The power button lights up, the fans all run,the hard drive seems to spin up, but i still get the no signal msg from the monitor.

Are you getting anything on the monitor? By anything I mean any boot up/bios info. If the computer is attempting to start there should at least be that info because it is in ram on the board.
Have you tried another monitor?

carp3nt3r

carp3nt3r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi, monitor is one of 2 i use,both it and the associated cabling is verified good by a second pc. the only thing on the monitor is the "no signal message" and
I have tryed to remove the new ram installing the original ram in its place, tryed removing the new graphics card and using the original onboard graphics port,replaced the original PSU back into the PC, removed and replaced the lithium cell battery , moved the cmos reset jumper and returned it to normal position, everything i can think of including hiss and spit over my shoulder. nadda. nothing. just wondering now if the new video card drivers disable the onboard video drivers when i jumped the reset if maybe now the driver for the onboard maybe isnt there anymore? im not real certain i understand all that i know.

thanks, bob

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Have you tried to start the computer in safe mode? It loads default drivers.

Have you tried this? F8 during boot up.
If this does not work (and you get no bios info on the screen) you could be looking at a PSU or main board.

carp3nt3r

carp3nt3r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It does not start into safe mode, as i stated , it gets no signal message and thats all. Ive removed all mods to it and tryed the original configuration and still nothing.