Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with ipod not syncing

• Please log in to reply

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Got a bit of a problem on my brother's laptop, his ipod will not sync to itunes, an error popsup saying "stuck on determining tracks to sync"

any ideas what needs to be done?

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Can you provide the model and generation of his iPod?

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Black 7th Generation Ipod Classic 120 GB

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Typically these problems are from a failing HDD in the iPod. However, in this case, I'm not sure about that because that model shouldn't be more than about 2 years old. Let's see if we can run some diagnostics on the iPod. I'm not sure if this key combination works for the 7th gen because I've only used it on the 4th and 5th generation if I remember correctly, but it's worth a shot.

Make sure the Hold switch is in the Off position. Restart the iPod. Press and hold the Menu and Select Button for 10 seconds. Once the Apple logo appears, press and hold both the REW and Select buttons. You should hear a chirp and notice that the Apple logo is now backwards.

You'll now see a list of diagnostic tests you can perform on the iPod. I would run an Auto test first and then possibly run some manually, such as the HDD diagnostics. It should be under the IO heading. Let me know how you make out.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
okay Auto test passed without a problem

did run into something on the accesorize test

says please plug in FW, unsure what that plug is at

Edit: still has the please plug in FW on the full SD ram test

also now it says no power supply which I find a bit odd

Edited by Lucky Dearly, 09 November 2010 - 06:39 PM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
The please plug in FW is asking you attach a Fire Wire cable to run additional tests. You can pretty much ignore that error. Where does it say "no power supply"? Is that during the diagnostics? You'll normally get an error if the iPod isn't connected to a power source, such as the computer or a charger, but you can ignore that as well.

What we are really looking for are the diagnostic results of the hardware in the iPod. Can you give me the exact results of the HDD test? It should show something about the number of Retracts, Reallocations, Sectors, etc.?

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
ok here's what it says

Retracts: 9
Reallocs: 48
Pending sectors: 0
Power0n Hours; 411
Start/Stops37867
Temp : Current
Temp : min 14C
Temp : max 56C

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Well, there isn't anything unusual there. Let me do a little more research and see what I can come up with.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
There isn't much out there on this problem. I read a couple reports where people indicated that a restore fixed the problem and one other person was able to get things working with a new USB cable.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 12 November 2010 - 01:37 PM.