Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recent Suspicious Activity

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Okey dokey, I will be interested to hear how things are after the Dial a Fix and defrag are over. :D

Advertisements

Konsonum

Konsonum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sorry for the extremely late response.

When I follow the link to the directions regarding Dial-a-fix, I am led to a forum page with no instructions listed.

Also, defrag did not help entirely cure the problem. Perhaps by a little, though I have not noticed it.

Edited by Konsonum, 30 November 2010 - 05:26 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again Konsonum,

When I follow the link to the directions regarding Dial-a-fix, I am led to a forum page with no instructions listed.

Hmm... seems those instructions have been removed.

Try this one:

Download SREng
  • Extract it to Desktop and double click SREngLdr.EXE to run it
  • Select System Repair from the left pane.
  • Click on File Association
  • Select all entries that has an Error status click [Repair]
  • Refer to this image for an example:

Posted Image
  • Close SREng now.

Come back and tell me if there is any change.

Konsonum

Konsonum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Not much difference. By the way, between this post and my lost post, my computer failed twice. It might be just a hardware problem, but I only built my computer a few months ago so I'm not entirely sure.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

It might be just a hardware problem,

Could be but Kaspersky VRT did find and remove infection.

Also at one point you mentioned that AVIRA had found new or possibly regenerating infection.

I am more inclined to think that either there is some infection there that we are missing... although we have checked very thoroughly, or, there is residual system damage that we can't fix without the Windows CD. Having said that, the symptoms are consistant with faulty hardware too. I guess you have checked that everything is plugged in properly and that the system is not overheating.

Looking back on your logs one other thing occurrs as a possibility.

You have Virtualization SystemGuard on your machine. The SystemGuard part of that program tracks and analysis configuration repositories and resources used by the application and intercepts the use of these resources, redirecting them to the virtualized instances of the resources. I wonder if that has become corrupted in some way and is causing problems as it trys to reallocate resources.

Are you in a position to reinstall that? If so it might be worth a try. What do you think?

Konsonum

Konsonum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I don't recall ever installing a "Virtualization SystemGuard" but I would like to try re-installing it if it may help solve the problem I'm having to some extent.

Also, I found a Microsoft CD that mentions the re-installation of Microsoft XP Professional and Service Pack 2, if that's what you're looking for.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I don't recall ever installing a "Virtualization SystemGuard" but I would like to try re-installing it if it may help solve the problem

I had assumed you must know about it. I believe you can uninstall it though Add or Remove Programs. Having said that, I am not familiar with it so I don't think you should do that without first talking to a techie (it might be important for the running of your computer) which you can do here. You cannot go there though until we can confirm your machine is clean.

I found a Microsoft CD that mentions the re-installation of Microsoft XP Professional and Service Pack 2

Hmm... might be. Let's do this:

Run the System File Checker.

Follow these steps:

• Click Start > Run and type sfc /scannow (note the space, it should be there), and then press ENTER.
  • Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
  • Restart your computer when System File Checker process is complete.
If you are asked for the Windows CD, insert that one. If it is not the right one it just won't work.

Come back and tell me how you got on.

Konsonum

Konsonum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sorry about the extremely late actions and responses lately, but as winter approaches, everything is exploding with mid years, term tests, holiday preparation, academic competitions. I haven't been able to keep up as, unfortunately, my computer is at the back of my mind, since it's only lagging. I have noticed one difference; whenever I tried to play a flash, like a flash movie or game, the flash always freezes whenever I try to interact with it. I have to click back to the desktop then go back to the browser for it to work for a bit.

I'm starting the instructions now.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
:D

Konsonum

Konsonum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The boot up and start up are faster but still slow. By the way, do I need to install SP3 again?

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Well you could do that but unless there is something I don't know i.e. for some reason you don't have it anymore, then if System File Checker ran through okay I don't see a need. The techies might think differently lol.

Now

If you haven't done so recently please run chkdsk.

Go to Windows XP chkdsk for some helpful instructions.

After that tell me if there is any change.

Konsonum

Konsonum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Did so and waited a few days to notice any major changes.

The lag has been much improved now; I can play my games and go on the Internet without massive lag now. Though, it wasn't as good as before, as there still is noticeable lag every once in a while.

Thanks.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Though, it wasn't as good as before, as there still is noticeable lag every once in a while.

Well unless new infection has been introduce I don't see a malware cause. Might be out of date drivers or some other program not optimum for what your running. Or even an anti-malware program checking things resulting in a lag while it is doing that.

Make sure you have completed the actions at post number 27 to clean away the tools we have been using and to remove any residual infection hiding in System Restore.

Unless anything there is anything else you wish to raise I will close this topic shortly.Posted Image

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.