Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Stop error at boot

• Please log in to reply

tr4962

tr4962

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi

I was working on my computer (windows XP) just as normal when the Blue screen came up. So i restarted like it said and it comes up instantly whenever i restart the same thing comes up (I am using a different PC to type here). Is there anything i can do? Or any way i can access the data on the Hard drive or will that be lost?

The error code 0x000000F4 (0x00000003,0x865DADA0,0x865DAF14,0x865D
Many thanks for any help

Edited by tr4962, 07 November 2010 - 09:19 AM.

Advertisements

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
You can install your hard drive as a slave drive in another PC if you want the information off it. Also if you install it as a slave you can run an error scan using your master drive to fix errors on the broken hard drive. The hard drive will show you were the little jumper has to go in order to make it a slave.

You could also try repairing the NTDL file or FIXMBR, FIXBOOT and CHKDSK using Windows recovery.

Edited by MikeMason, 07 November 2010 - 02:29 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I assure you that the data on the hard drive will be fine.
Are you getting the same error code with each BSOD on every boot? Try booting into safe mode: http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm
Do you have a Windows CD by any chance?

tr4962

tr4962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for your replies

When i tried to boot in Safe mode, it worked and i managed to save all my data onto an external hard drive.

I also did system restore to Nov 5th and now everything seems to be working fine again, No blue Screens, and my antivirus scanners have not found anything. (I did this before i read your posts, so i'm not sure i did the right thing as you haven't mentioned it) If you have any other advice i'm open to it.

I'm taking the computer to a friend (who is a professional computer technician) tomorrow, just so i can get an expert to have a look if anything is still wrong. I'm still none the wiser why it happened in the first place, Not that theres any guarantee he can tell me now i have done system restore. But i'll be sure to let you know what he says.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do you remember installing any new software? That probably would have triggered the blue screen. I don't think this is malware related.
Let me know what your friend says. :D

swallis

swallis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
System restore shouldn't have done damage, but will have resolved the problem

tr4962

tr4962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My Friend said it could go wrong again, but if it does he will rebuild the hard drive for us.

I think when it first crashed I was installing some sort of Anti Keylogger Programme and that must be what triggered it. I was convinced and still am a bit worried that there is a keylogger on my computer transmitting my passwords, as it seemed that a friend got deleted on my facebook, although it could be someone actually deleting me. Its that and other things that made me wory about there being a keylogger. Is there anything you could suggest for that?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If you are suspecting a keylogger, go here: http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/
Follow the instructions to make a new topic in the malware forum. A malware tech will make sure you are clean.
If you have any more problems, or if something crops up, post back here.

I suggest you do a quick backup of your important files, but I don't think the BSOD will return. :D

tr4962

tr4962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks again very much for your help :D

I've started my new topic about the keylogger, It may just be me being paranoid (i am with viruses etc) but at least if that is the case and there is no keylogger, it can hopefully be proved.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Sure thing. Let me know if there actually turns out to be any malware present. :D