Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SpywareGuard Run-time Error with LiveUpdate

• Please log in to reply

fallenarchangel

fallenarchangel

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello,

I am running on Windows 7 64-bit OS and just installed SpywareGuard version 2.2 on my computer. I have successfully updated its definitions to 1/22/04. Its latest definitions are only until 2004 as explained in the its FAQ quoted below.

However, my problem is that when I click on LiveUpdate again (just in case SG has new updates), I experience a run-time error as shown in the screenshot attached to this message.

Is this expected from SpywareGuard? Or is this a compatibility/outdated software issue?

Why is the most recent database update for SpywareGuard dated 2004?
Some of SpywareGuard's strongest protection is its Browser Hijacking Protection, which is a behavior-based defense. It doesn't need any sort of definition updates, and is still as effective (and powerful) as it was on the day of release.

Attached Thumbnails

• SpywareGuard Run-time error.jpg

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi fallenarchangle,

I found this FAQ below just under the FAQ that you included above in this link:

The current real-time protection built into SpywareGuard 2.2, which does use the database updates, has been extended about as much as is possible. This doesn't mean that the current real-time scanning is ineffective - rather that it is limited to detecting most variants of the families of items contained in its last published database.

Kinda makes you feel insecure doesn't it?

If you have Windows7 and you have Windows Defender running you really don't need SpywareGuard or any other Spyware protection for that matter. Only one realtime Spyware should be running on your computer to prevent conflicts. This you will learn about the further you go within your training here at Geeks to go.

Also some of the AV's such as Microsoft Security Essentials has this protection included along with some of the paid versions of Security Suites.

Having multiple Spyware Programs actively scanning your computer can result in similar issues as to having multiple AV's such as:

• False Alarms:
  • Conflicts:
  • Poor Performance:
  • Less protection:

But you will learn about this soon.

Good Luck with your training!

Donna :D

fallenarchangel

fallenarchangel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi DonnaB!

I apologize for taking a while to respond as I have been busy with work and overtime.

I do feel quite insecure here but only because of the error message. =P
But then I found this. I didn't catch this earlier.. It's also included in the FAQ link in my first post.

System Requirements
SpywareGuard works on Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP. Not tested on Vista.

Thank you, DonnaB! Would be a pleasure to work with you or get tips from you soon. =)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi fallenarchangel,

Not to worry about the delay in replying. ;) I know all about overtime. oooph! It's mandated where I work. They own me! ;) i love my job....repeat as needed

I saw the contents in your quote from that link as well. I believe that SpywareGuard was never tested on Vista (nor Win7) because Windows Defender, formerly known as Microsoft AntiSpyware, is included and enabled by default in those OS's. All the OS's prior to Vista were not as secure and added Spyware protection was needed. Though I do have SpywareBlasters installed. It doesn't provide realtime protection that will interfere with Windows Defender as SpywareGuard would..

Thank you, DonnaB! Would be a pleasure to work with you or get tips from you soon.

My pleasure fellow classmate! :( As long as it's not about our training! That's what the instructors are for! ;)

Have a nice day! :)

Donna :D