Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complete Lack of Response

• Please log in to reply

Zigil

Zigil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all, looking for some help with this issue. I just finished building my new PC and it was having an issue where a few minutes after being powered on it would freeze up, whether I was in BIOS or attempting to install windows it didn't matter. I checked all of my connections, HD, Graphics Card, RAM, PSU, what have you. A friend who has built several PCs in the past suggested perhaps reseting my CMOS which could help. So I unhooked the PSU and switched the jumpers over to the reset pins and then back, plugged back in the PSU and now...nothing. After hitting the power switch there is absolutely no response, no fans start up, nothing. The green LED on my motherboard is lit so the PSU is supplying power and the second PC I built using the exact same parts is working completely fine with no issues whatsoever so I'm not thinking it's a compatability issue. Any thoughts? I would appreciate anything, I'm pretty new to this so I have no frame of reference to really work from. Thanks!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
There are millions of different hardware configurations out there and you told us absolutely nothing about yours. We know nothing of your motherboard, RAM, CPU, graphics, case - just that it does not work.

The green LED on the motherboard only means +5VDC is present. It says nothing about the required +12V or +3.3V.

The most common problem with new builds, assuming the PSU is good and connected properly, is extra or no standoffs under the motherboard, or a foreign object, like a screw, under the motherboard shorting everything out.

Zigil

Zigil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
True. Shame on me. Thanks for your response though, and the couple things for me to check.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Motherboard: EVGA P55V SLI

Processor: Intel Core i7-870

RAM: OCZ Gold 4 GB DDR3

HDD: Seagate 1 TB LP HDD

DVD Writer: Lite-On 24X

PSU: Ultra LSP 550-Watt

GPU: GeForce GTX 460 1 GB

I took a look around in the case and did not find any lose screws or any other random bit floating around. I checked the stand offs as well and there are no extras installed.

EDIT: For some extra info as well, while I was in the BIOS when it was starting and before the BIOS would freeze up on me, CPU temp was steady at around 100F, all the fans were functioning, and I had 3.3V on the 3.3V monitor. I didn't have much time before it would freeze up so I wasn't able to check much else before it just stopped functioning all together.

Edited by Zigil, 07 November 2010 - 11:52 AM.