Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics card 64-bit capable?

• Please log in to reply

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello!
I just got Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit the other day and after installing it I couldn't wait to test out the 64-bit graphics! I got on (Ohhh pretty!) and installed all the driver, did all the updates, blah blah blah. I went to the NVIDIA control panel to set my graphics card to 64-bit and the highest was 32-bit. Whats wrong?

Graphics card: NVIDIA GTS 250 512Mb. (ASUS brand) http://usa.asus.com/...WnVZ&templete=2

System:
Core i3 processor @ 2.93 Ghz
4Gb of DDR3 RAM @ 1600
850 watt power supply
ASUS P7P55 SuperComputer Motherboard
NVIDIA GTS 250 512Mb

Thank for the help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,008 posts
Hi Peptobismol165
Have you tried installing the latest drivers from here http://www.nvidia.co...hql-driver.html download and save them to your desktop, uninstall the present drivers and install the new ones, hope this helps get you sorted.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I went to the NVIDIA control panel to set my graphics card to 64-bit

You don't "set" the graphics to 64-bit. Are you sure you were not looking at "color depth"? That's different and just fine if it says 32-bit as that has to do with the number of colors, not the driver.

I personally use and recommend the 64-bit drivers from the card maker as they may be tweaked for the specific card. The drivers from NVIDIA's website are basically generic drivers for that GPU. Many card makers attempt to distinguish their cards from all the others using the same GPU and their drivers address those tweaks.

http://usa.asus.com/...WnVZ&templete=2 (click the download tap, then make sure you select 64-bit for your OS)

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
How can I tell if my system is running on 64-bit graphics? And yes I was looking at color Depth. Are those two separate things?

Edited by Peptobismol165, 07 November 2010 - 03:44 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

And yes I was looking at color Depth. Are those two separate things?

As I noted above,"Are you sure you were not looking at "color depth"? That's different and just fine if it says 32-bit as that has to do with the number of colors, not the driver."

How can I tell if my system is running on 64-bit graphics?

Well, when you installed the driver, you would have had to select the 64-bit version. Did you?

You can check your driver version with GPU-Z - not from the folks who make CPUz, but a nice program in the same light for GPUs.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Yes I have a 64-bit driver. I downloaded it off the NVIDIA website.

The thing that worries me is when I run a DxDiag it says my current display mode is 1280 x 1024 (32-bit)(60Hz)
Shouldn't it say 1280 x 1024 (64-bit)(60Hz)?

Heres my DxDiag review.

Attached Files

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
No. That's color depth and has nothing to do with this - all my 64-bit systems also say 32-bit in that statistic. 64-bit drivers allow your hardware to communicate over a 64-bit path - which means it communicates faster and again, has nothing to do with the number of colors a graphics system can reproduce.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Ohhh! Well thanks a bunch!