Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No signal from moniter

• Please log in to reply

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hello, when I turn on my PC I get no signal. There are no bleeps. I've reseated the RAM and checked all the wires and compasiters, they all look fine.

The fan on the graphics card works. Would there be bleeps if the graphics card is faulty? I've tested the monitor with another computer and it works fine. I don't have a spare graphics card to test.

I've taked out the hard drive and installed it as a slave because my works on there. BIOS will pop up even if there is no hard drive right?

I've tried pressing f8 f9 f10 etc. Nothing works. Any help would be great.

Edited by MikeMason, 07 November 2010 - 02:10 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
You need to provide information about your computer,is it a custom build or brand name
such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and
any add on card details would also help others to help you better.

when I turn on my PC I get no signal. There are no bleeps. I've reseated the RAM

Remove the Ram and power up, if you get error beeps it may suggest the GFX card is dead.

BIOS will pop up even if there is no hard drive right

Correct.
Try clearing the CMOS by removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and
then replace it, if you get the screen back you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the
time and date, save and exit, also do you normally hear a single POST beep when the computer
is working correctly (not all PCs have a MB or case speaker).

MikeMason

MikeMason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Lol, I spelt "moniter" wrong in the topic title.

Remove the Ram and power up, if you get error beeps it may suggest the GFX card is dead.

Already done that!

Try clearing the CMOS by removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and
then replace it, if you get the screen back you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the
time and date, save and exit, also do you normally hear a single POST beep when the computer
is working correctly (not all PCs have a MB or case speaker).

Already done that too!

You need to provide information about your computer,is it a custom build or brand name
such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and
any add on card details would also help others to help you better.

It's a HP media centre pc m7000.

Edited by MikeMason, 07 November 2010 - 03:02 PM.

Asherr

Asherr

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
You must connect all small SMPS pins to your motherboard at the right side corner then restart your computer again check weather you get a POST beep or not if not then properly place your RAM into the slot.

MikeMason

MikeMason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I've tried everything. It must be a faulty graphics card. Does anyone have an old crappy PCI graphics card (even something like 8MB) they no longer need or could lend me to test? I don't want to buy a new graphics card if there's something wrong with the motherboard!

If I can get any old PCI card and get BIOS to show up on my monitor with it. I can then go ahead and buy a new graphics card.

The only graphics card I have is an AGP so I have no means of testing it. The motherboard has a couple of free PCI slots.

Edited by MikeMason, 08 November 2010 - 08:41 AM.