Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I have windows 7 on one computer
and windows xp SP3 on the other

whenever i try to add a wireless printer, it says windows can't find the suitable drivers for this printer, please contact...

Its brother hp Laserjet 3030

I turned on sharing for both computers, and enabled the printers for sharing also

Also tried to install the drivers manually but I still get the same error

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You have not given us enough information. How and where is this printer connected? Note the best solution is to connect the printer to your network via a print server such as one of these: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0001BXVA4

Also, there is no such thing as a Brother HP. That's like saying a Ford Chevrolet. I suspect you meant HP LaserJet 3030.

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
The Printer is connected to the windows 7 computer via USB

Oh sorry I mean HP Laserjet 3030

and I would rather not spend any money on a print server

I've done wireless printer sharing at home but I am having trouble with this one between XP SP3 and 7

Also that windows 7 is 64 bit OS

Edited by GeekForgotten, 07 November 2010 - 11:18 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
This is usually a firewall problem, or Home Group issue. You might check out this.

I understand the desire to not spend money if you don't have to, but there are many advantages to using a print server, not least of which is security. With a print server, you don't have to open up sharing on the host computer. Also, with a PS, your Win7 machine does not have to be up and running to print from your XP machine. The printer does not get tethered to any computer. And the printer can be centrally located and not take up valuable desk space. Something to think about.

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I've used that exact tutorial before but I dont know why it still doesn't work

I'll try to disable my firewall and see if it works

If I can't get it to work no matter what
I'll consider that PS

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
why don't you try to connect the printer to the win xp pc via usb and see if that works first....Then you can work on the wireless part later. There is a dirty way to do it and it will work for now. Just make a remote desktop connection from the xp pc to the win 7 pc and then send the doc you want to print to the win7 pc and print it.

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Well the Windows 7 Computer still needs to print...
Isn't there a simpler way to do it?
I think this is a driver issue?

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
What I'm saying is, is to temporarily connect the printer to the win xp pc to rule out a driver issue or hardware issue.....It's just a step to take in order to narrow down the problem.(The remote desktop suggestion is a temporary work around) If you're able to get the printer to function with a direct connection, you can then focus on the wireless/networking/sharing issue if it's still a problem......Try it and post back.

Edited by D-Berd, 17 November 2010 - 06:47 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I agree with D-Berd. If you connect it to your computers directly and it prints on both the Win7 and XP system, then you know their printer drivers are good. If you can't get it to print when shared, then you know it is a sharing or firewall issue. But again, a print server is the best solution as there is no messing with sharing or firewalls.

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Ok I tried it out by plugging it in and it works that way
so is something wrong with the firewall ??

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
It's definitely an issue with network or sharing. Now to figure out why. Did you reconnect the printer to the win 7 machine and test it again?

Edited by D-Berd, 17 November 2010 - 04:02 PM.

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Yea I tried to connect it back to win 7 computer but same problem

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
so your able to see the printer on the network but when you try to connect, it asks for drivers.

when you point to the drivers it says there not the correct ones right?

Is this you printer and is this the site you used to download them from? http://h20000.www2.h...rodTypeId=18972

maybe you should try to uninstall any current printer and printer drivers if still installed.
Then check this page and make sure your using the correct driver. http://h20000.www2.h...EnvOID=228#1130

I'm not too sure the process your using to try to connect to the printer. Sorry to ask, maybe you could explain how your doing it step by step.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Have you been to this site? http://h20000.www2.h...ortTaskId=23046

http://h20000.www2.h...ectID=c01660252

GeekForgotten

GeekForgotten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Well I can't really see it on the network
but i used the \\pc-name\printer name to connect

I've tried those 2 ways to connect but for some reason it still asks me for the appropriate driver