Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restart computer from scratch

• Please log in to reply

cnobles10

cnobles10

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello All. I am computer stupid, I will be greatfull for any help . I have just purchased a computer from a friend, an Acer Aspire with Windows Vista. I want to restore it to factory settings. HELP!!!!!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello cnobles10.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :D
;) ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon
as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Acer:
Hard Disk Recovery
should be enabled by default. If it is not, you may need to go into your system’s BIOS by hitting F2 at boot and enable it under the Advanced tab.

Once Hard Disk Recovery is enabled, restart the system and hit ALT+F10. This will begin the system recovery process. You will be prompted to type six zeros as a security step. Type 000000 to proceed.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Taken from the Acer manual

To begin the restoration, press Alt + F10 (PC Tower) or F10 (laptop) to boot the PC and when the ACER logo appears. This will start the system from the hidden partition the hard drive and you access its main page. The restoration will be on partition C:. The partition D: (ACERDATA) will not be formatted, and therefore documents will not be deleted but it is always prudent to think about making a backup of your most important documents in case!
Note: You will be asked to enter the password before the System Restore starts. If you enter the wrong password three times, the computer will restart into the operating system.

You must enter the password to access the main page of the hidden partition. The main page of the hidden partition provides three options to restore the system:

1 - Restore the system to factory default settings: Select this option and then enter the password. The utility will restore the system from the image of the factory default settings on the hidden partition on the hard drive. When prompted, confirm the system restore. A message will warn you that you will lose all data on the disc. The utility then restores the system to its original state.
2 - Restore the system from backup user: Select this option and then enter the password. The utility restores the system from the image of the user on the second partition on the hard disk. When prompted, confirm the system restore. A message will warn you that you will lose all data on the partition. The utility then restores the system to safeguard user the most recent.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Oh snap we posted at the exact same time :D

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ooops - :D

mtiggs

mtiggs

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have an acer aspire one. it came with software called acer erecovery management. it is a lot easier to use than type in passwords and stuff.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 6 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.