Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Power Eraser

• Please log in to reply

IronicLuddite

IronicLuddite

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everybody,

After browsing the forums the last few days, I couldn't help but notice that with the exception of a single passing remark, Norton Power Eraser seems entirely absent here. I realize that the program's potential side effects and "last resort" status will naturally limit how widespread its usage becomes, but I'm still surprised by the lack of discussion, and decided to get some started.

So here's my question: How many of you have used Norton Power Eraser? If so, did it help solve a problem that more common AV programs couldn't? Or alternatively, did it delete a critical file or damage your computer in some way? Or did it simply do nothing?...

I've personally experimented by scanning with it a few times in recent months (out of curiosity, not necessity), but found that its advertised aggression seems slightly exaggerated. It produced only a few false positives in my experience (which I anticipated due to the nature of the files in question), although with a full scan it does tend to regard a plethora of files as "suspicious," without declaring them infected out-right. Unfortunately (actually fortunately :D ) I've never seen it detect or remove a genuine infection yet. Of course, my experience might be the exception rather than the rule, so I just thought I'd ask...

-IronicLuddite

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's a dangerous program. If in doubt, don't use it. Can probably cause serious damage with it given half a chance.