Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rams, how do I know which one I have

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
People come into the shop, asking if they can do a memory ungrades, I go to system-right click, property and see how much ram is there but that does not tell me what type of ram, nor how many slots to play with, short of opening up the box what can I do?

Advertisements

blingin67

blingin67

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
As far as I know, there is no way to tell what type of RAM the PC uses without opening up the case.

If the people who bring in their PC know what type of motherboard they have, you can find out what type of RAM the motherboard uses (and I think how many slots there are) at Crucial's website. Otherwise, you'll have to open up the case to look at the motherboard, which would be useless since you could just look at the RAM while you have the case open.

If it's a storebought PC, likely they can find out what type of motherboard it has in the manual. If it's a home built PC, the customers might know what type of motherboard it is.

Edited by blingin67, 26 May 2005 - 12:38 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

it will tell you memory, type, sometimes manufacturer, speed,