Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am pretty sure my laptop mother board is fried. I think the hard drive is ok, is there a way to remove my hard drive from my laptop and plug it into my external hard drive so that I can retrieve my files? (I had a friend a few years ago that did this from one laptop to another, took out the old drive from the broken laptop and put it into his, and this got my files back for me) I do not have access to do that, and don't know how he did it)

Some sort of plug in or USB thing to plug into the External Hard drive or my home pc?? (Laymen's terms please... I am CLUELESS!)

Any info much appreciated, thank you.

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,890 posts

First, you need to determine what type of harddisk that was on the laptop - IDE or SATA. Then you need to buy the appropriate harddisk enclosure.

Refer to the image below to check if your drive is SATA or IDE

Posted Image

Edited by Salagubang, 08 November 2010 - 04:56 AM.

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts
If you have a SATA laptop hard drive, grab this little adapter:

Posted Image

plug in the two connectors and you're done. Start copying files.

(Click the image for more info).