Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Badly messed up partitions

• Please log in to reply

Greentc

Greentc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So basically, I’ve been an idiot with my laptop and I would really appreciate some advice on whether/how it is salvageable. Apologies for the length of this post. For information my machine is a Fujitsu Siemens Xi Amilo 3650, with Vista Home Premium.

I recently had problems with my machine that led to the hard drive needing to be wiped and Vista reinstalled (by a professional). I got the computer back and in my extreme foolishness I messed with the partitions. During the messing about I know I deleted any visible files in the data drive (D: ) including something called Bootsek.bak (I had googled this before deleting, and saw that it apparently was not important). I think I also changed the Active Partition to C: (the main drive), although I can’t remember if I changed this back.

I restarted the computer and a message came up saying “Bootmgr is missing. Press Alt+Ctrl+Del to restart”.

More foolishness: after seeing this message and restarting a couple of times without success I found my Fujitsu recovery disks that I burned when I first got the computer; I set the first one running before realising that I only had 3 out of the set of 4. I therefore didn’t continue after the first disk, and the current situation seems to be that my computer cannot access my c: at all.

When I allow my computer to start up as normal I get the message “Missing Operating System”.

I have a Vista recovery disk, and using the Startup Repair I am given error code 01xF, and Problem Signature 6 is CorruptVolume. From Dos I have tried running Chkdsk, but is says that my C:\ is RAW so it can’t do anything.

I have used a free disk partition recovery program (bootable as I don’t have any access to Windows), it identified that the majority of my disk space is located partly in an area of “Unallocated Space” and partly in a drive that has an error so it cannot access.

In case it is useful, I think the computer has renamed D: to X: ; I can access this drive and there is a Windows folder in there.

After all of that, I would be really grateful if someone could tell me if any of the options I have identified are possible, or suggest any others. I am happy to spend money if I need to, but I don’t want to waste it on something that won’t help, and I’d rather get this done myself rather than sending it back to a professional if at all possible. The computer had nothing on it other than Windows, so I’m not trying to save any personal files/data.

(a) Format computer entirely, buy a new copy of Vista, and start afresh. I haven’t tried formatting c:/ yet, although I understand that it is possible through DOS – is this likely to work given the RAW business described above? If this is possible, I assume I’d need to buy the full version and not just the upgrade?
(b) Buy a bootable partition repair program – do any of these work, any recommendations?
© It seems I can buy the Xi3650 recovery disks from an online seller, I would have thought my problem has gone beyond the ability of these disks but I suppose it’s an option?

Thanks for persevering through all of this, and I really appreciate any help anyone can give. *keeping fingers tightly crossed that this is salvageable*.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It seems your laptop came from the factory with Vista installed on one partition but the boot-files (Boot Manager) installed on a separate, smaller partition. It is this smaller partition which must be set to 'Active', not the Windows partition C drive.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 09 November 2010 - 07:25 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
phillipcorcoran is correct in the original configuration. However there is no way of knowing how the professional installed it. Operating systems should be installed to the C drive because a lot of programs and updates default to C drive (with no way to change the install path).

I recently had problems with my machine that led to the hard drive needing to be wiped and Vista reinstalled (by a professional).

I would look to get the recovery CD's. They will put the computer back to the way it was from the factory.