Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 64 with GTX 285 error

• Please log in to reply

pixel_k

pixel_k

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there,

I am running Win 7 64 with 8GB memory and a GTX 285 card bought 2 months ago. Recently I started getting BSOD errors and changed memory thinking it is a memory error but with no success. Then I put back my old memory and reinstalled Win 7 64 and now computer gets stuck on the welcome screen of win7 64 without loading the desktop. Sometimes ends with a BSOD. But boots up fine on safe mode.

I then removed the GTX 285 and installed my old Quadro 4500 and Windows loaded and running without any issue.

I really need to run the GTX 285 and want some help in sorting out the issue. Could it be a driver issue? I tried the latest version of drivers from the NVIDIA site. Could it be a voltage issue? I have heard the Win7 64 needs more voltage but not sure how to check or adjust this.

Any help?

thanks,

pixel

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I have heard the Win7 64 needs more voltage

Whoever told you that malarkey doesn't know what they are talking about. Don't take advice from them. Even if the OS demanded more "power" (as in watts), the voltage needs to remain constant. Voltage requirements are a function of the hardware, not operating system.

It worked fine for almost two months? If so, did you upgrade drivers before this started? I generally prefer to get drivers from the card maker's site and not NVIDIA directly. The card makers often add tweaks to distinguish their cards from other makers using the same GPU and so I tend to stick with card specific and not the GPU makers.

The fact it works in Safe Mode suggests drivers. And the fact it works fine with your old card, suggests it is a problem with the GTX 285 itself, or its drivers. I note the GTX 285 is considerably more power hungry so I would ensure you have an adequate supply.

pixel_k

pixel_k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply Digerati... Yeah that is what I am thinking the problem is. Will investigate further on the drivers. I usually downloaded drivers from the NVIDIA site. Will try the card manufacturer website as well.

thanks,

Pixel