Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NEW SYSTEM..... HAS PROBLEMS (HELP)

• Please log in to reply

Coldkiller44

Coldkiller44

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just bought a new AN7 , and a Geforce 6600 gt AGP, took out my old motherboard and installed new one ... hooked everything up and turned it on..... The SYSTEM has 3 problems...... the plug in for the CPU fan ( I think is dead) i plg the fan in and turn system on.... fan does not work ( tryed several fans all wont work) 2nd (hooked CPU fan to case fan plug on motherboard and cranked up rpm on it and CPU is running at 82C (179*F) Stable but WAY TO HOT, also i tryed to boot up windows after i got all the bios settings setup .... and it crashes right before i would normaly see Windows XP now loading.... i see a Blue screen with white lettering on it for about 1/2 sec then it is gone and system reboots..... please if someone can help me........If u need any other info i will try to provide... thanks to all who post.

Edited by Coldkiller44, 26 May 2005 - 01:45 AM.

Advertisements

Coldkiller44

Coldkiller44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP I HAVE A DEAD COMPUTER That i just spent alot on...anyone......even if u can only help with one of the three problems

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Clarify for me exactly where you are at with it now -
does the cpu have a working fan?
What is the current cpu temp?
Did you perform a fresh install of windows using this motherboard or is the hard drive straight out of the old system with no reinstallation of XP?

Edited by Samm, 26 May 2005 - 06:06 PM.

Coldkiller44

Coldkiller44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK , i had a ASUS A7N8X motherboard i took it out and installed this motherboard , the CPU temp has gone as high as 198*F , but I think it still works because it is still leting me get into bios and stuff...... the connection between the CPU and heatsink is bad i think that grey stuff is like missing in some spots , so i think that is why its geting hot , the ABIT tech told me the motherboard must have a faulty outlet for the CPU fan since i tryed like 3 differnt fans on that plug and they wont work... ( The system wont boot past bios) XP is installed on the harddrives and was working with the ASUS board.... i tryed pluging that board back in ...... and it let me get into bios i saw that the CPU temp was 158*F WAY to high i know..... i exited bios and it went black and started beeping i am guessing it is unsable cause CPU temp is too high..... doesanyone know..... if i replace the compund on the heatsink, and plug the CPU fan into another fan jack on the motherboard .... SHOULD THE SYSTEM LOAD?????

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You must replace the thermal compound, yes. You will need to get some good quality thermal paste (artic silver 5) or similar. Clean the old compound off of the cpu & the heatsink using a special antistatic cleanser.
Apply a pea sized blob to the die of the cpu and spread it over the die to a thin film. Then place the heatsink back on straight away.

I don't know why the cpu fan isn't working but connecting it to a different fan socket on the mobo probably won't work. Most system monitor the cpu fan & if its connected to the wrong socket, the system will think its not working.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

i think that grey stuff is like missing in some spots

Stop right there and don't even think about turning that thing back on until you clean this up and get some good thermal paste. Sorry to butt in but you are about to destroy your CPU if you haven't already.

Back to your guidance, Samm ..........

:tazz:

Coldkiller44

Coldkiller44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for letting me know.... the cpu was set so that if it gets hot it runs very slow... so hopefully it didnt burn up..... the guy at ABIT.... just told me move it around a little and try it again..... THANKS ALOT EVERYONE WHO POSTED./.... i am gonna replace motherboard (return it) and get some thermal grease and try it again.... THANKS EVERYONE

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Cheers Rockster2U for reiterating that point. You're right, it's a minor miracle that the system still boots at all given that the cpu's been running at a temperature equivalent to the nose cone of a space shuttle coming back through orbit!

Coldkiller44

Coldkiller44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
YEA... LOL the FIRST time i powered up the system i went into bios set everthing up went to PC health and IT SAID 198*F CPU temp.... THAT IS AMAZING THAT IT STILL WORKS I AGREE..... hopefully no perminate damage... I HOPE