Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Windows 7 "Can't boot from hard-disk error"

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Hi,
I am trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on to a dell xps and having a lot of problems.
The Computer has 3 harddisks
C:\ - Vista (Came preloaded With the Pc when i bought it)
D:\ Vista Recovery 10GB thing (Came preloaded With the Pc when i bought it)
F:\ Empty drive i want to install windows 7 on
J:\ Harddrive for everything else

The problem is when i boot from the disk i can start the installer but when it allows me to choose where to install to the harddrive always comes up as "Can not install blah blah, Windows can NOT boot from this Disk"

I have tried all sorts of ways to get around this like unplugging everything apart from the cd drive and harddrive i want to install it on, im getting really fed up with this. Is the problem that im trying to do a dual boot?
I also read somewhere about getting sata drivers for my motherboard but after hours of searching the web gave up.

All i can tell that my motherboard is is a FOXCONN LS36 but i can't find sata drivers for this anywhere!
On the dell website i tried all of the Sata downloads but if i locate the downloaded file whilst in win7 setup it doesn't like the file.
Am i doing some majorly wrong and stupid here?

Please help me!!!

Spud

Advertisements