Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on Starting a Malware Removal Business

• Please log in to reply

Slam Dunkley

Slam Dunkley

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi this is Slam Dunkley, I am new to this forum, I have just signed up today.
I have a question, I am looking to start up my own home based malware removal business, I have the tools to do what I need to do, it's just I don't know how to put myself out there, I have cleaned 8 computers so far with a 100% success rate.
I was thinking of putting leaflets throught people's doors, put I am not sure if they would read it, is this a good idea or has anyone got any tips to get me going?

Thank you

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You may have the tools - but do you have the knowledge ?

What is your guarantee on malware removals ?

Slam Dunkley

Slam Dunkley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My question was how to advertise myself, I will talk about my knowledge another time, but for now let's focus on what I asked please :D

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
In that case you need to determine first what guarantee you are going to offer - no fix, no fee ? Hourly rate or a job rate ?

Use the local newspapers small ads

Slam Dunkley

Slam Dunkley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you, yes it will be a no fix, no fee guarantee, I will offer a flat rate, I would like to advertise in the newspapers, I will have to look at how much that costs, what do you think of posting leaflets through doors?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I feel that take up on that will be small - going by my experience around this area - most people just bin them straight away

Word of mouth is always best , if you do good work ask your customers to recommend you

In my area we have free local papers and generally the ads in them are fairly cheap

Slam Dunkley

Slam Dunkley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I will try advertise in Express & Star, I have a problem though, I am no good at promoting and I am not the most literate of people, would you be able to provide a template for what the advert shouls say?

Thanks

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Give me a while to get my thinking head on

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

would you be able to provide a template for what the advert shouls say?

You're asking someone at a site that offers free malware removal to write an advertisement promoting your business that removes malware? :D

I'm afraid that is far outside the scope of what we can offer.

Back to the knowledge part, eight computers does not make you a malware removal expert.

Slam Dunkley

Slam Dunkley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I never asked him to write my advertisement, I just asked for a template, sorry when I said computers, I wasn't including laptops, well if no one can help then I can handle that, a bit suprised to say the least. I would like to thank Essexboy

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

sorry when I said computers, I wasn't including laptops

Now I'm really worried for your prospective clients. :D

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A laptop isn't a computer? :D

P.S. Advertising Help Link

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

A laptop isn't a computer? :)

P.S. Advertising Help Link :D

;) ;) :( :)

Thank's Troy,you've made my day ;)

Troy,[attachment=45939:BE067613.jpg]this is a laptop

Edited by zorba the geek, 10 November 2010 - 01:53 PM.

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
It sounds like you have pretty limited knowledge about computers in general. The best recommendation I can offer would be to try to find an internship at a local computer repair company to learn the ropes and get your feet wet in the business. Then try to get hired by one of these companies so you can gain experience and get to where you've seen 90 percent of the problems that come through the door before you even look at it. Then you might be in a position to be able to run your own shop but gaining experience should be your first goal in being a successful computer technician.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also check out Geek U. If you are going to be charging a flat fee you want to know everything there is to know and more about removal and the tools available. I personally think (from a business-oriented point of view) that you should charge per hour as some simple infections can simply be removed running MBAM and the like, others are very complex and can take a long time (way over my head kind of stuff hehe). If you end up charging a simple fee and get a heap that take you a long time it's going to sting you.

I personally think you should discuss the malware bit first, and that would be in Geek U as far as I'm concerned. Once you have the knowledge 100% downpat then you can start thinking about branching off into the business side of things.

Also what sort of hardware skills do you have? If someone drops off an infected computer to you that isn't really infected but has faulty hardware? Or it is infected and has faulty hardware? You need to have both skills if you are going to be offering this as a professional service. Here at Geeks to Go we have many knowledgeable people in all manner of different areas. If a virus removal goes south because of hardware issues, the Malware Removal Experts can refer them onto us Tech Staff and we can work as a team to fix it.

You need to be able to have all bases covered.

Cheers