Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my laptop suddenly wont detect my wireless network

• Please log in to reply

jam_fan10

jam_fan10

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i did have the antivirus action virus, but cleared that up shortly after. then my computer was working fine. it wasnt plugged in, so eventually the battery died. when i turned it back on, my audio wasnt working at all, and it wouldnt detect any wireless networks. (the switch for wireless is on, but the blue light is not). somehow my audio came back on its own, but the wireless problem is persisting. i browsed some other topics here and checked my msconfig and it is set to normal startup, so that is not the problem.. what else can i do?

thanks in advance!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If it's an HP or Compaq laptop, the internal wireless device is known to fail on some models without any warning, owing to inferior quality components.
If it's still under warranty you can make a claim as HP know of this problem. Otherwise you can buy a "plug-in" USB wireless adapter such as those made by Belkin or Netgear and use that instead to connect wirelessly to your router.

jam_fan10

jam_fan10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks.. i figured it out tho. apparently it was in super power saver mode, and apparently theres no way to turn on wireless if thats on, even if you do it all manually. thats kind of impractical i feel, because i was lucky i just tinkered with that, otherwise i wouldve been without wireless for a while.

duanzao321

duanzao321

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If it's still under warranty you can make a claim as HP know of this problem. Otherwise you can buy a "plug-in" USB wireless adapter such as those made by Belkin or Netgear and use that instead to connect wirelessly to your router.