Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird issue with my computer; software/hardware?

• Please log in to reply

networkz

networkz

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I recently got a new computer from my uncle cause his company was giving out desktops for free. He reformatted it before he gave it to me and everything works fine except that it's a bit slow(the specs are clearly faster than my old comp) and when I scroll down on my 21" LCD, you can see the screen breaking down/choppy for a slight second before scrolling down, usually for a normal computer it'll smoothly scroll down. Also when I try to play videos it's very choppy when I enlarge it to full screen or bigger then just half the screen. if it's small it's fine but anything bigger than small and it lags/becomes choppy. And just anything takes a bit of time, like firefox would freeze for a moment when it finishes downloading something. Even my MSN Nudges are laggy :D

Is there something wrong with one of the hardware components in my computer or is something not properly installed?(DirectX? Video Card? etc etc) I'm not sure what hardwares he installed or if he just plugged it in and ta da...

Thanks!

Edited by networkz, 08 November 2010 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely you do not have the correct drivers for the display( video). I would find out what display hardware you have and go looking for the correct drivers. Motherboard identification, or video card identification would help. Open up the side case and see what you can find.

SRX660

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I think the Mother board is

MSI 915P Combo-FR

and Video card is _X1300 256 PCI E

I think that'd be a VisionTek Radeon X1300 PCI?

Or how could you double check and make sure? I opened it up and it doesn't say.

Edited by networkz, 09 November 2010 - 08:22 PM.

networkz

networkz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Fixed! So it was my video card...I just installed the driver and its all smooth now :D

Thanks SRX660!!