Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen, cursor flashing. HELP

• Please log in to reply

nms6454

nms6454

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I dont know much about computers but I need some help. Every time i turn on the computer, a blue screen comes on with options to go to BIOS and all that stuff (which i took pics for) if i dont press anything it goes to a black screen with a white flashing cursor. The light on the back of the tower is green. fan is going. not sure what else you need to know. but if someone could help walk me through the steps to fix this, that would be great. I do not have the windows xp cd to repair it either.

P.S. i dont know anything about repairing files....so i really do need step by step instructions

Attached Thumbnails

• boot1.jpg
  • boot3.jpg
  • boot2.jpg
  • boot4.jpg

Edited by nms6454, 08 November 2010 - 07:50 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
When the Boot Menu screen comes up, try choosing Ch2 M. What happens when you try that?
Have you tried to boot into safe mode: http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm ?
Do you remember installing any new software or hardware before the problem started to occur?

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
When the Boot Menu screen comes up, try choosing Ch2 M. What happens when you try that?

It goes back to the black screen with cursor.
Have you tried to boot into safe mode: http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm ?

It won't let me go into safe mode.
Do you remember installing any new software or hardware before the problem started to occur?

No. Nothing was installed recently.

Edited by nms6454, 08 November 2010 - 11:06 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go here: http://sites.google....-console-for-xp and burn a disc of the Windows RC. Then follow the instructions here: http://tech.icrontic...pair_windows_xp using the CD you burnt. If you have any troubles, or if you need clarification, post back before attempting anything.

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
After I downloaded the iso file, winzip came up, so i extracted all of the files and it put it in a folder (took a pic of it) when i tried browsing for the files it was in a folder....there wasnt an ISO extension. When i browse and open folder 1386, it goes to folder SYSTEM32 and then nothing is there. when i open the actual folders, it shows that the files are in each folder.

Attached Thumbnails

• printscrn.png

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You shouldn't extract the .iso file you downloaded. Just close WinZip when it pops up, and proceed to burning the iso file to disc with BurnCDCC.

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, so i was able to get to step 2 but there is no option to type "1" It says microsoft windows XP™ recovery console. The recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality. Type Exit to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer. C:\>

And when I do type in 1 and then hit enter, it says the command is not recognized. type help for a list of supported commands

Edited by nms6454, 09 November 2010 - 09:47 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You are doing good. Proceed at the C:/> prompt by typing C:ATTRIB -H C:\\BOOT.INI
Continue on with the instructions from there.

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok. now i got to the part where i type C: Bootcfg /rebuild and it says "scanning all disks for windows installations. Please wait, since this may take a while... Error: failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning. use chkdsk to detect any disk errors. note: this operation must complete successfully in order for the /add or /rebuild commands to be utilized.

so i typed chkdsk and it says The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Did you try typing in chkdsk /r ?
Do you remember shutting down the computer by pulling the plug before this BSOD occurred? The file system on your drive is corrupted, and it looks like chkdsk cannot repair it. This was the reason the recovery console did not ask for your Windows installation: it could not find it because of the corruption.
Can you tell me how old this computer is?

I'm not sure how much data can be salvaged from this drive, but we can give it a go.

Advertisements

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Did you try typing in chkdsk /r ?
Do you remember shutting down the computer by pulling the plug before this BSOD occurred? The file system on your drive is corrupted, and it looks like chkdsk cannot repair it. This was the reason the recovery console did not ask for your Windows installation: it could not find it because of the corruption.
Can you tell me how old this computer is?

I'm not sure how much data can be salvaged from this drive, but we can give it a go.

Yes i did try chkdsk /r i believe it said it wasnt a command
the computer is around 4-5 years old.
i have not pulled the plug out before it happened but my husband did a couple weeks ago so that he could rearrange the cords. but this problem didnt happen until less than a week ago, and the computer was running fine after he unplugged it

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right, the first order of business, is to extract all the data we possibly can from your corrupted file system.
Go here: https://sites.google...without-windows
Follow the instructions to create a Ubuntu Live CD, and backup your data. Since I could suspect a virus, only backup files without a .exe or .zip, .rar extension. Only documents, pictures, music, and the like. No executables or archives.
If you have any problems mounting your drive, post back.

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
im not understanding step 4 at all. here is a pic of what i see

Attached Thumbnails

• u.JPG

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This is how you are supposed to boot to the desktop:
Once you do, try mounting your drive. If you encounter any more problems, let me know. :D

nms6454

nms6454

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok...im guessing i need an external hard drive or something so i can transfer the stuff i want? That might have to wait until next week.

Edited by nms6454, 11 November 2010 - 10:46 PM.