Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

you cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowe

• Please log in to reply

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Not sure what this means or how to get past it, just did an upgrade and cannot log on "you cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowed on this computer"

Please help

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
How exactly are you logging on? For example, are you using a standard password, fingerprint scanner or facial recognition method?

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
This was a standard upgrade of vista ultimate to windows 7 ultimate, on a home based pc. In vista the client only had an administrator account (no specific user account). Once the upgrade finished I tried to log on (no password since the client had never used one) but was unable to due to the message I reported earlier.

The upgrade was done with and Iso file that I have used successfully in the past.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
This is the solution posted on the web.

Windows 7
3 posts

Win 7 login error: "You cannot log on because the logon method ...."

Run gpedit.msc.
2. Expand Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies
3. Click on User Rights Assignment
4. Ensure that "Allow log on locally" includes Administrators, Backup
Operators, Domain Users or Users.

I need to know how to do this through the command prompt or create a bootable disk that will do the same since i can't log in to make the changes.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Have you trued a bootable disc? A good one is Ubuntu Live CD, a cd booted operating system

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I decided to give up, I loaded vista on a desperate partition and then deleted the windows 7 partition, computer works fine now.