Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HP dv2000 won't either boot or screen is not coming on.

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok. I'll try to keep the as short and brief as possible and explain the whole issue. My wife's computer is a HP dv2000 laptop. The hard drive crashed a few months ago and then I replaced it. I took a hard drive out of a gateway laptop that crapped on me and put it in the Hp. Once I got it started up, I did a full system restore. I had to use the system restore from the partition and it was setup for Gateway but seemed to work o.k. other than the fact I had to go though and manually load all the drivers from the site. So the only problem it had after that was boot up was a pain in the butt. I would turn it on and sometimes it would boot fine and sometimes I had to take the battery out, put it back in, and then start it up and it would seem to work fine until you closed the lid and it would freeze then we have to start the process all over again. Other than that it would work. I have searched and searched trying to figure out why and finally I just gave up and said the heck with it.

So, my wife wakes me up this morning and tells me that her computer will not turn on. I have tried everything I know to do to get it on. I don't even get the blinky light in the top left corner when it doesn't wanna do anything. The screen stays black and doesn't even try to lighten up a little bit like when power is applied and it stays black but you can tell it's on cause it's a lighter shade of black. So I have a work computer that runs the same operating system windows xp. Took that hard drive out and put it in my wife computer. No worky, no nothing. So I took my wife's hard drive and put it in my work computer. It started to boot up just fine so I shut it down. So it's not the hard drive.

I decided I was mad and started dismantelling the laptop to see if there was any cables unplugged or the motherboard fried with black marks. Well I got a lot of it taken apart and decided maybe I should ask one of you guys what you think it might be before I completely ruin the whole darn laptop if it's not ruined already. Note: the screen has never given me any issues, with no dimming and no dead pixels. So I thought I would mention that to see if that makes a difference or not. If you need more info let me know and I will gladly give it to you. Thanks.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,738 posts
Hi bigdogc23
Try using the trouble shooting flowchart in your user manual http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01035657.pdf
Depending on how much of the laptop you have dismantled will determine what tests you can actually carry out.
Can you try removing the battery and power the laptop up with the AC adapter plugged in and whilst doing this connect the laptop to another screen via the vga port on the laptop for instance, also you could try shining a flashlight into the screen and look closely to check for icons/images in the screen background, again whilst the laptop is powered on.

it stays black but you can tell it's on cause it's a lighter shade of black

This could mean the screens backlight or inverter has failed, the flashlight test results may give us an idea if this is the case, check the above out and let us know how it goes.