Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Portable upgrade - new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

ma99uk

ma99uk

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi HELP !!!!

I bought new hard drive to replace existing on Compaq Presario portable Model 915EA. New drive is Samsung HM160HC ( 160 Gb). I was told by seller it was compatible. Took out old drive and put in new. Tried to partition it into one primary and two logical using partlogic-0.69 downloaded from internet. seemed to partition ok. I have Windows 98 startup disk I use to boot computer. Did this and used FDISK to see partitions. Problem - it did not recognise the partitions. It said disk size about 86Gb. Normally I use the startup disk to format C drive and copy system to it when i format C, then start Windows 98 load from CD I have, then load Windows XP Home Edition from CD.

Current problem - I have downloaded PTDD Easus Super Fdisk and made a boot disk. I boot portable from this and look at partitions. It says available HARDDISK1 memory 32247Mb, hard disk parameters : Cylinders 4111, head 255, sector 63. Where has rest of memory gone ???? I tried to get back to the 160Gb but no success. When creating partitions using partlogic-0.69 i specified NTFS first. However, this was not recognised by windoows 98 boot Fdisk. Then I deleted partitions and created new partitions using partlogic-0.69 and FAT32. After this the memory seems to have disappeared !!!

Please advise how I can go back to the full size on disk, what to use from internet ( free please !) to partition, format, load windows XP etc. I am a learner regarding this stuff so a step by step guidance would be greatly helpful.

Thank you .

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You do NOT need anything but the Windows XP CD. It contains everything needed to partition/format a new (or used) hard drive and install Windows XP.

Simply boot the system from the Windows XP CD and follow the on-screen instructions.

(Note that I do not know if it can remove whatever you've done to the drive with 'partlogic-0.69' but, I'd give it a try).

ma99uk

ma99uk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks.

I tried XP CD boot and it is ok. However, I only get 32 Gb. How can I get to 160 Gb ? Wish I had booted from XP and used it to partition/format etc before partitioning with other programs. You live and learn !!!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Delete the FAT32 partition.

Microsoft.com > Limitations of FAT32 File System
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184006

ma99uk

ma99uk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi !

After looking at: Microsoft.com > Limitations of FAT32 File System ........ Now I know why it is called FAT32 !!

BUT Problem still not resolved.

Deleted partition in Win XP.

Now says unpartitioned space 32 Gb. How to increase to 160 Gb ?

I have downloaded HUTIL from Samsung website. Used it to check drive.

Under drive information it says Current size 32253 Mb, native size 152627Mb.

Under tools option are following options :
1. Erase HDD
2. Set max UDMA mode
3. Automatic acoustic management
4. self diagnostics

Under self diagnostics option -- drive size is shown as 32253 Mb.
Under erase HDD option are following options :
- process
- target LBA (66055244)
- target size ( 32253 Mb)
- erase MBR
- Low level format

Are one of these options what I should run to get rid of the 32253 Mb size? How do I then get to native size 152627Mb ? After what happened before I am a bit vary about running any option I am unsure of !!

Thanks.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I'd try the "low level format" option, (with the hope that it will obliterate whatever "partlogic-0.69" has done).

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Since your system came with Windows 98, I'm guessing the 32GB is a limitation of the BIOS. A BIOS update may resolve the issue: http://h10025.www1.h...&product=235687

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Product Specifications - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
Compaq Presario 915EA Notebook PC
http://h10025.www1.h...=reg_R1002_USEN

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
32GB limit is generally a hardware limitation. Review the attached document (JUMPER-EN.zip) from Samsung to verify the pin settings.

Attached Files