Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply

UltraMegaMang

UltraMegaMang

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

So basically im building my own computer choosing parts primarily from "MSY" http://msy.com.au
I have a relatively basic understanding as to which parts are compatible but am not 100% sure whether any bottle-necking of performance could occur.
This is what I've worked out so far:

MB - P7P55D-E LX = $139
CPU - Intel Core i5 760 = $219
RAM - 4G Kit ddr3 1600 Patriot-Viper 2 = $155
VGA - 768M GTX 460 Gigabyte = $187
CPU COOL - Xigmatek S1283 Dark Knight R3 1156p = $ 85
PSU - Lian-Li Maxima Force 650 W = $152
Case - Cooler Master RC-690 Advanced II = $125
OS - Windows 7 64-Bit = $109
-----------
$1171

It would be appreciated if anyone could point out problems with my current choices and explain.
Also if anyone knows some sort of overclocking application which i could use it would be
great as i would rather do it in a risk free manner.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I don't follow Asus motherboards much but just double check that your CPU is on the CPU support list, you can find it on the ASUS website. Other than that it looks pretty nice. I know there are 4GB kits (Kingston, GeIL) able to be had for about $80-odd AUD these days so make sure the Patriot is going to be worth all that extra $$$ (I don't think it's justified personally).

As for overclocking, risk free? If you don't know what you are doing then I recommend you get a lot of help from someone who does (or don't overclock). If you do know what you are doing then you will know there is always a risk.

Cheers