Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP Please

• Please log in to reply

Supaman1982

Supaman1982

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Let me explain what is happening.
When I try to start my computer, the fan starts spinning i can hear the HD spin and the DVD drive lights come on.
The Keyboard lights do not flash and the monitor does not come on. Everything seems to get power but no boot up. Now sometimes i can forceably shut it down (hold in the power button) and i can get it to fully boot up. Is this a CPU problem, or is it maybe a Power supply problem. Please Help......

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit? Supaman1982 and Welcome to GtoG...

The 1st thing a system will do is try to find the video output. If it cannot find it, the system will just sit there waiting for it. Since it starts sometimes, it could just be a dusty set of memory chips.

Does your system have a video card or is the video coming from the motherboard, (if its a motherboard video system, the video connection will be near the keyboard and mouse PS2 ports). How familiar are you with the inside of your system? Have you ever looked "under the hood"? I ask this because the 1st step you may need to do is re-seat the video card and/or memory chip(s) after cleaning them. Just make sure before you do this, unplug the system from the mains and try to make sure that you haven't built up a static electricity charge. Also examine the CPU heat sink and make sure that it is also not full of dust.

What is the system make & model? If we know that we can better advise you...Posted Image

Hope this helps....